loose plugs

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by shadguts, Dec 25, 2007.

1. shadguts

shadguts New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Here's one for you all. I noticed a few weeks ago that my 90hp merc wouldn't idle well. Idle a few minutes and sputter and go dead. I thought that it was time for some work. Sunday I went out and the engine wouldn't start. Put the spark tester to it and bam good spark. While I had the cowling off I noticed that all the plugs were loose. I tightened the plugs and still wouldn't start. Turns out it was cold and the primer ball was stiff and I didn't prime it good enough. After starting it it idled perfect all day. I must have not tightened them after the last compression check. For me in most cases the problems that I have are usually something really simple like that. A loose wire, a loose nut, a loose plug, will give you fits. Hope that helps someone.

2. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Yep the little simple things will aggravate you to death. But the silver lining to that is if its simple its cheap to fix. :wink:

3. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    most embarrasing is take friend and his 8 yr old son fishing for first time. brag about guarantering to catch 2lb crappy, or whole trip is on me. get to lake, and boat motor won't start. now i'd changed plugs, lubed everything, made sure everything would work perfect for this trip. was ready to call off the trip after checking everything i'd thought, and the kid asks me what those loose wires were on back of outboard. (i'd forgot to plug the spark plug wires back on). duh. after good laugh on me, off we went. caught the fish i'd bragged about too.
    gary

4. shadguts

shadguts New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    HA HA HA HA! Havn't done that yet but is very possible. Just seems to me that a lot of the problems we have are nothing at all.