Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner

loose line?

1K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Jnagel 
#1 ·
Ok, theres a small pond where i fish at a lot and ive never caught a decent fish tightlining. My best 2 fish where with a big chunk of chicken liver and just a hook tied to the end of the line. The fish, if im tight lining, will nibble and nibble and nibble but wont take the damn bait. I was wondering, as this year im going for the biggest fish i can get, if using a loose lined live gill with the tail and fins cut off jsut enough so he cant swim will work. And i gotta admit the loose line is fun, sitting there realing in a bluegill on the other pole and you look over and holy shit fish on!!!!! without a doubt the most fun ive had fishing. Ive had great sucksess with chicken livers this way, jsut wondering if anyone else has tried/thought of trying this.

#3 ·
yeah i usually tie my egg slip on to the main line...tie on a swivel run about an 18" leader to my hook....after i cast, i'll set my drag...tugging on the line coming off the reel...usually leaves a nice little "margin for error"...but you can't really do that on a windy day, unless you got your rod tip almost IN the water....breeze seems like it sends some type of vibration or something...i dunno...maybe it's just me....and that may just be the case....

#4 ·
My lake i fish has some big channels with some smaller ones, ive tried it with egg sinkers and done this exact way but the fish seem to still feel the weight. And im thinking that my lake doesent hold a huge supply of catfish, as it takes a very long time to get hooked up with many nights that i went fishless. that being said i dont want to miss a chance at a fish. On a side note im thinking you guys may fish baldwin lake or kaskaskia river, Do you think its possible to get some fish from baldwin or the kaskaskia to the lake to stock it? Im really into makeing this lake a great fishery for catfish. Its in freeburg and its pretty small so maybe 25 or 30 channels can make the lakes population get much bigger

#6 ·
I do alot of fishing our local state lake here weightless with alot of success. I also use chicken liver, with a trouble hook. I try to get the line as tight as i can but it will still look like it is very loose. When a fish normally takes the bait and runs he hooks himself. Hope this helps you out.

#8 ·
you know..somebody else i know always says fish weightless with an ol' gob of crawlers or a loose panty hose bait full of livers...and i can very much agree with muddy....but i'd also like to point out the idea of dialing down your egg weight.....could be too light...could be too heavy....though...if you study your line in the tub, or in clear shallow water in the pool...or a lake...you'll notice that the actual leader doesn't indirectly effect the weight...in other words...the swivel becomes the new fulcrum...your bait itself will literally cause it's own "loose line" via the bait to the swivels' movement after you feel your weight hitting that swivel and you crank it a little past that point...momentum slacks any line past the swivel.......so loose from the weight, which is butted up against the swivel, to the rod tip is extra insurance that if she bites and runs...she's caught!:wink:...if she's getting off of that...she's gummin' and runnin'...timid....:eek:oooh:

i may start trying a weightless pole somewhere off to the side and monitor the hookset/spitting ratio.......veddy veddy intehdesting.....

#9 ·
Thats all good just dont let DNR catch you i'm not too sure about transferring fish, i guess its cool as long as their taken with rod & reel, just ask Bwhupp about that lol :tounge_out: but anyways do the fish nibble like this all year long? i assume their channels if thats the case they usaully just nibble like that till the spawn then they will hit like a train( not all the time but usaully, just depends on the lake) anyways i wish you the best of luck on getting that lake producing, if i wasent city locked and owned some property with some water on it you bet you ass i would be dropin the $$$ to get it stocked :roll_eyes:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.