Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner

Loose action/barrel

2K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  9c1cap84 
#1 ·
I noticed this morning that my savage 110 30-06 the barrel and action has a little lateral movement. maybe a 1/8". No up and down just front to back. I checked and snugged up the take down screws, they are good. Im thinking it may be the recoil lug or recess. How would somebody repair a problem with the recoil lug or recess? Bedding compound? Shim?
Thanks

#2 ·
Savage has a barrel nut that works like a jam nut. It keeps the barrel from turning, and it also holds the recoil lug in place.

If the barrel is truly loose I wouldn't shoot it any more, it will take someone with the proper tools to fix it. Because the headspace will need to be checked.

#3 ·
Yeah, that was one of the first things I checked. The action and barrel is snug and there's no slop in the recoil lug. I did notice the gap between the stock and barrel on the end of the forearm has gotten bigger. I think all the rain last deer season swelled/warped the stock. I'll shoot and see how it does for accuracy and go from there. Might end up going with another stock.

Attachments

#6 ·
Great time for a laminate upgrade. Might as well bed it while youre at it. My 110 in .270 shoots .5 inch groups at 100 yards (with ME shooting no less) with nothing more than a glass bed job of the factory laminate stock. This is a pre-accutrigger model as well.

#8 ·
Not to hijack but since were talking 110s, anyone seen a safety or trigger group that bypasses the tang safety? I really hate the safety on my 110 especially in cold weather with a heavy glove. A few years back i swear Timney had a drop in trigger group that had a side safety similar to a remington 700. Now all I can find is just the replacement trigger.....I even askes a Savage rep at the outdoor show last April and he could tell me nothing...
Thats a pretty stock. Have fun with the install, I enjoy that kinda work.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.