Loons

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by RiverratSC, Dec 3, 2005.

1. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    Ok y'all don't be calling me girlie about this now. I love to hear loons sing. I know how that sounds but they are such a beautiful bird with a beautiful song. I don't get to see them often down here mostly during the winter at Lake Monticello. I watched them yesterday which by the way was the best part of the day. I will have to say that when it starts to get dark they do get a little creepy sounding off in the distance.

Like I said no girlie remarks. :)

2. bud1110

bud1110 New Member

State:
    East Texas
    There's nothing wrong with listening to Birds singing. Sometimes we need to stop, and just listen to what's going on around us.

Aint nothing girlie about that my friend...

3. badkarma

badkarma New Member

State:
    Oxford,Miss
    Hey Rat just don't try to eat one,I tryed when I was about 14 and it was the worst thing I ever put in my mouth.Yuck!!!

4. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    LOL I never thought of eating one before. There was a lot of gulls also but they aren't as pretty.

5. joesf

joesf New Member

State:
    Bloomington IL
    I love to bird watch and listen. The sound of the loon is awesome, so is the call of the Barred Owl.

6. Cyclops01

Cyclops01 New Member

State:
    Eden, NC.
    I don't know if I've ever seen a Loon, let alone heard one's call. This will, for sure, go to the top of my "gotta do" list.

Mike

7. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    There was a guy in canada shooting loons which are protected and the game warden caught him. The man explained he had 5 kids and no job or food for them so he was shooting them to eat. The warden felt sorry for him and decided to let him go. As he was walking away he said, hey by the way what do those Loons taste like? The man replyed, Oh just like bald eagle. :D

J/K I too think they are nice to listen to. I have a wild life phone that makes 10 different wildlife sounds and the loon call is one of them. You should see peoples reaction when my phone rings! ;)

8. Big Nick

Big Nick New Member

State:
    McKinney TX
    ya, we listen them every year up in Minnesota, they are the state bird up there, and are beautiful. I've always loved seeing them swim and dive.

9. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    LOL Nick you a fan of Airplane there buddy.

The loons were diving when I saw them and the gulls were hovering around waiting on them to surface. They're a little bigger than I thought they were.

10. Big Nick

Big Nick New Member

State:
    McKinney TX
    Do what? Fan of Airplane the movie? I have no idea what you're talkin about

11. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    I am serious, and don't call me Shirley. <--- That is from Airplane the movie Leslie Nelson said it.

12. Big Nick

Big Nick New Member

State:
    McKinney TX
    Duh, I was looking at what I said on the post, not my signature. LOL

Ya, I am more of a Leslie Neelson fan than I am an Airplane fan

13. Rainman4u2

Rainman4u2 Guest

Love those Loons also. We(my girlfriend and I) have been to MN the past two years, and I love hearing them call at 6am when the sun is coming up. Cyclops, if you put Loons/birds into your search engine you should be able to find a site that has an audio clip of the birds.

Ray

14. Environmentor

Environmentor New Member

State:
    Buffalo, Iowa
    Well I was never really into birds (and still really ain't). However, last year my final class was Vert. Zoo. and my teacher is really into birds and so we had to learn all about them. Joesf talks about the barred owl call. Well none of us in my class ever heard the call before; however, my teacher told us to memorize it as "who cooks for you" and he was right. Well, my whole class had to spend the weekend at the school's preserve and he managed to call in some barred owls. However, there was like several owls that came around us all calling back and forth, it was awsome. It took them several minutes before they quite. "Who cooks for you" is exactly what it sounds like.

Here is a great link for birding, and calls:

http://www.birds.cornell.edu/programs/AllAboutBirds/BirdGuide/

See if you think the barred owl calls "Who cooks for you?" "Who cooks for you?"

15. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    Now days I do slower fishing than I did back when. LOL
    I dont just go fishing for catching fish. Most times I dont like the radio on when outside fishing etc. I go to check out nature, I watch everything out there. At lake I check out eagles, Loons, Gulls, another bird we call water turkeys and more. Lake be covered with birds/critters this time of year. I check out any fish movement on the water. I've even seen deer swim
    across a cove. I like it all. like to hear em sing/talk etc. Its cool if you ask me. Good way to relax. Better scenery than any store I ever been in. Sounds better than radio and TV. peace an quite with nature at its best. I do the same in my yard. I listen up when outside.
    Dont get be wrong, I will take food from nature as needed and in season but no waste.. I eat all I can and enjoy watching and listening to the rest.

I let em sing me a song before I clean em. In fishing, I listen at the cat make its grunting noise before I clean it. Unless its too big and then I CPR it. Joking around a little.

Nature at its best is not girlie. I love the outside and all it offers. Even if I get stung by a bee. LMAO. :D

16. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    Today will probably be the last time I see Loons this year because the lake I see them on isn't producing any fish for me. I do hate to miss out on them but I rather not go back down there this year. :sad:

17. T-Bone

T-Bone New Member

State:
    South of Dallas
    Nature is a wonderful thing. It's also getting harder to find. I enjoy being out in it as much as I can. If the fish are not bitin' (cause the cows are down) I still enjoy seeing and hearing all that nature has to give. We fish at a small lake that is winter home for a few Bald Eagles. Man what a site that is to see ! When I see those great birds all fishin' comes to a stop for me. It's so heart warming (for what ever reason) and makes you proud to witness such a site.

18. Environmentor

Environmentor New Member

State:
    Buffalo, Iowa
    Dano, I agree. I have never taken a radio fishing. I like the peace and quiet, and the music of nature. Besides I don't want some Disc Jockey scarring my fsih away. I sit/stand there very queitly, and have gotten physically closer to nature then by any other means. I have had deer come within 50 feet of me on many occassions, I have had birds/eagles/hawks/herons come even closer.

19. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    I don't like music or other noises while I'm fishing either. I like hearing the birds and the bait click. I also prefer to hear other boats coming so I can get out of there way or scare the crap out of them one.

I hear Owls and Turkeys almost every time I fish Lake Wateree.

20. MNwiskers21

MNwiskers21 New Member

State:
    South Saint Paul, MN
    I thought I would put my two cents in. I live in Minnesota and seeing and hearing loons is a common thing and I love it. Another thing is watch out so you don't end up catching one of them, I did once and it was NOT a fun experience.

To the people who said they have eaten loons before, I recommend you don't do that again. Let me tell you if you get caught by a conservation officer with a dead loon in your possesion say good bye to hunting and fishing because you will have your lisences taken away for good and you will have a large fine and a very good chance of jail time. This is no Joke from a soon to be conservation officer.

Take Care Everyone!

Sincerely, Kevin