Loon's - Looked like they were fishing for sunfish

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by n2fishn, Apr 12, 2009.

1. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    I had only about two hr yesterday before i had to be home to start painting on the house so i made a quik run to osage.

To my suprise there were two loons not 50 yrds off the bank where i pulled in to fish.

I seen the 1st loon of my life last yr in April on the same lake.I just wonder if this is the same pair again coming back through.

Watch them catch what looked like a sunfish then they were fighting over it when the poped back up from catching it.Again these birds can stay under for close to a min and travel 75 yrds underwater.

Oh,and no fish was caught not even a bite.But still had a great time watching the loons and hearing turkey's gobble off in the distance.

Attached Files:

2. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Thanks Tom. I've seen a pair on Milford almost every year, until a couple of years ago, usually in the fall and spring when they migrated. This is the first year in a few I got to see one again, it was down at the SchCrk ramp, a lone female, there may have been a male with her, but didn't get to see him. We've 100's of Shoveler ducks moving through the area right now too.

3. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

I'd never even HEARD if loons until I saw the movie "On Golden Pond" (one of my faves of all time). I think it's great that although you DON'T always catch the fish you would like to, you can still enjoy and appreciate nature, and the other things it has to offer. :cool2:

4. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    i had never seen them till i moved hear i see them all the time on the river i engoy them

5. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Thats amazing !!!

6. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Nifty! Out this way we get Sea Gulls in the winter time.

I can't imagine why they would come here to winter, but they do.

7. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    I remember seein them last year at Osage. They are real cool to watch.
    I wish I could train one to get bait for me.:wink::smile2:

8. tmramrod91

tmramrod91 New Member

State:
    kansas
    I spent a summer in Canada, and saw hundreds and hundreds of those things. They were a ton of fun to watch dive from way up in the sky down to catch the fish. Those candadians love those things...enough to name their freakin dollar coin (ya, they have $1 and $2 coins) after the loon.

Great entertainment while fishing for the fish with teeth :smile2:

9. rush_60

rush_60 New Member

State:
    Troy, KS
    I saw several buffleheads today. They were cool to watch and would get within about 10 yards of me. They are little tiny ducks. I thought the female was a chick until she started diving.

Their was another diving duck that I have been unable to identify yet. It has a white or light blue bill, black head and body and grey belly. The male and female look the same. Anybody know what that is?

10. Mr. Foster

Mr. Foster New Member

State:
    Kansas
    everywhere I seem to fish there are Blue Heron, They are fun to watch.

11. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Thats how you find the shad. Look for the Herons. :smile2: