Looming cold front - how about a local point of view?

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by jerryb, Sep 24, 2007.

1. jerryb

jerryb New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I know this has been discussed elsewhere on the site, but I was wondering what the "local" perspective might be....

With the front and it's temperature drop that's supposed to be coming through this area Wednesday/Thursday, i was wondering what everyone's opinions were regarding the best time to try and grab some channels would be? Wednesday, before the front, or after the front (Thursday evening?)...

If you only had one chanse to go fishing this week, when would you choose?

2. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    definetely before the front. the bite can be good to great even right up till it is almost passed. ususally a day or two after, i just stay home and look at the radar for the next warm-up! now sometimes if the front is a weak one the fishing isn't affected as much. goodluck..rollo

3. lebeaux

lebeaux New Member

State:
    ohio
    I took tonight off work b/c of this front if that tells you anything:wink:

4. jerryb

jerryb New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I'm debating whether to go out tonight or get an early start tomorrow...

5. impak209

impak209 New Member

State:
    Toledo, Ohio, U
    Good question argued and brought up constantly, but always with a different insight or response. I personally have been trying to see how it affects the fishing. I know on thwe Maumee river when the water is hight its excellent but when the waters low the bite has slowed some this past couple of weeks , I am hoping that it will be better tonight. I am sure wed would be ideal,but I go to school on Thursday. Hell if it is'nt any good tonight I'll go back out friday and let you know which of the two nights turned out better.

6. Kat-addict

Kat-addict New Member

State:
    ohio
    Jerry...I'm planning on being on the water Friday and or Saturday due to the rising water. There hasn't been much current on the Ohio lately but there should be this Saturday. According to NOAA (which isn't always right by a long shot) the current will be at 111kcfs come Saturday night. That should get em stirring for sure. We were catching some good blues at the end of August in deep holes(50 + depth) and then the current stopped and ZIP..nothing for a few weeks now. I hope this gets em back on the bite. Here's a pic of my Dad and I holding a couple we caught on the 28th of august
    [​IMG]
    Good luck !

7. jerryb

jerryb New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I went out Tuesday night, but only got about 2 hours in before the t-storms chased me right back in... was a pretty good show, tho - lightening over the lake was awesome!

Went back out yesterday morning for a little bit but got skunked. I was kind of playing around trying some new things, so it didns't surprise me...

Thinking about maybe trying again tonight or tomorrow now that the front has gone past and see if there's any difference... will be going out Sunday morning with my boy, too...

8. impak209

impak209 New Member

State:
    Toledo, Ohio, U
    Tuesday was a total bust after an hour and a half my chicken livers had'nt even been touched. very unusual, I may go out again tonigh or tommorow but I'll probablly wind up chasing flatheads if I dont get any channels after the first hour.

9. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    S_man and I just sat in the storm but we did manage to bring 2 in

10. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    the front now is pretty much through. went out to get bait and caught 3 yeah! 3.. a nice 12in. carp and a couple of bullheads... bait tank isn't looking good for the upcoming tournament..rollo

11. pinpunch

pinpunch New Member

State:
    ohio
    :wink: Recently fished a two night tournament with NEOCATS. A front was comming in. The frist night was before the front, the second night the front hit us about 10:30 with fog very cold 0 visablity. It was so cold, the water in the live well was making the fish slugish. Had to pull the plug & let lake water run in the well. The frist night all teams had their best weight. The second was just so-so. In answer to your question fish now untill it hits. Of course fishing in any weather is better than not at all. You can always tell how rough it was; that way people will know you are a real catman. If you don't go fishing you won't HAVE A CHANCE, of catching any. Good luck hope you catch your personal best.

12. impak209

impak209 New Member

State:
    Toledo, Ohio, U
    Thsi front that just kinda crept in will definantly have an affect!

13. jerryb

jerryb New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I know this 20 degree drop in temp has had a definite effect on me!! :sad2:

14. luckey wade

luckey wade New Member

State:
    ohio
    my buddy and i are going out thursday night the tem. has droped alot .maybe the water will cool and will make the fishing good .

15. prostreetS10

prostreetS10 New Member

State:
    ohio
    Im gonna get to the river wednesday night hopefully this cold weather will chill that water off a little. I think it will pick up the bite atleast i can hope for it

16. tacraft61

tacraft61 New Member

State:
    Powell, Ohio, U
    jerry, thats a good question.i was taught that prior to and shortly after the front passes is generally a good time to fish. but myself would also take into consideration wind,water,bait and all other variables,but as we know mother nature has rules of her own.GOD BLESS AMERICA..OUR TROOPS...AND MY GRANDDAD AND FATHER FOR GIVING ME THE LOVE OF THE OUTDOORS AND ALL THE JOY IT BRINGS!!!!:wink:

17. jerryb

jerryb New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I think I'm gonna try and give it a shot tonite, just to see what happens...

Besides, I got these brand new katbobbers just waiting to be put in the water... :wink:

18. luckey wade

luckey wade New Member

State:
    ohio
    well the rain hit and didnt hurt the bite.
    we caught 5 1 channel 4flats.
    little baits were good
    900pm to 200am