looks like i need help

Discussion in 'TEXAS LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by thecatman, May 14, 2009.

1. thecatman

thecatman New Member

State:
    Graham, Texas,
    well crap i dont know where to start went fishing tonight got to the river at about 8 and had the first rod in the water round 830 got the next rod out and before i had time to even assemble the next rod the clicker is singing good grab the rod set the hook and nothing i look over to my other rod and the line was all the way to me at the bank so i dropped the rod i had picked up the other one and reeled it in asap and tried to set the hook and i see a very large fish swim away as my weight comes back and nails me in the chest so i'm already down 0-2 within the first 10 mins of wettin a line well i bait em back up and again the rod with a clicker starts to sing as soon as i touch that third rod and with the same results i finally got all my rods out and by 1030 i only had 3 pieces of bait left after starting out with just over a dozen gills i did manage to set the hook on a few of the fish but i'm unsure what went wrong since i felt the fish fight for a brief moment then the line went limp i was using gills live and cut and they were slamming both well i thought i was getting into some big gar the way it appeared so i rigged my 10/0 king kahle with a treble stinger and caught a good 3lb channel on my next attempt to set the hook and just as i was about to call it a night i busted my lantern up again when i went to grab the rod with the clicker i still dont know how i didnt hook the last fish he was makin that clicker sing like ya had hooked a mac truck anyway i ended the night with the 3lbs channel a 4in channel and a 3in flattie so i got a good feeling those i missed may have been big flats gettin their grub on after they spawned what yall think

2. sw2324

sw2324 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Sounds like the area was overrun with gar.

3. fishstick

fishstick New Member

State:
    Fouke, Arkansas
    just a little early for the flathead spawn aint it. those channel cats will grab a pretty good sized gill and run off with them. might try to downsize the bait and hook on a couple of rods and see what happens. you never know it could have been a big ole lucy though.

4. thecatman

thecatman New Member

State:
    Graham, Texas,
    yeah may have been some gar and smaller channels but they were definately biting like a big flat would especially last night would cast out and they would either take off like a freight train or bring the bait right back to me but i did manage to catch one of the culprits a 20lb gator gar got pics i'll upload when i get to the house he's in the freezer now and it wasnt as hard as i thought it would be to clean him but his scales should be used for armor i mean jeeze and sharp enough to use as an arrowhead to boot

5. kitty_lover

kitty_lover New Member

State:
    texas
    Just wondering what river you were fishing and where at? Im just home from my 2nd tour in Iraq. I have never been into fishing, but was injured and i dont walk very well so i thought it would be fun to take up as a new hobby. I dont eat fish, but think that catch and release would still be fun. Thanks for any help you can give. I live near Keller

6. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    Welcome to the BOC Jason. Thank you for your service to this great nation. Any thing I can do to help let me know.