Look'n for some channel catfish

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by iceman, Jul 20, 2009.

1. iceman

iceman New Member

State:
    Walterboro S.C
    Well, I have been catfishing Santee lakes for a few years now and been doing pretty good with the blues and even a couple of flatheads. there has been a few channels in the mix. I would like to be able to anchor out and catch a bunch of them eater size channels! So, here i am asking for opinions on baits and when to use them, where to find them(structure, bottom, depth, HONEY HOLES. LOL ). what about stink baits. i'm not asking for everyones secrets just thought there was so much knowledge on this site that i could get a headstart on them. all info will be appreciated.

GARY

2. larry d. grady

larry d. grady New Member

State:
    north caro
    try small marshmellows dipped in dip bait,it works great on monticello @wylie,and waterree.

3. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Gary, it seems there are larger than normal numbers of channels being caught this year almost anywhere on Moultrie. I know I've caught more channels than any previous year. I use primarily fresh cut bait, and nightcrawlers, but a lot are being caught on stinkbaits, too. You may have to move around a little to find them, but if you anchor on top of underwater humps and fan out your baits, you should locate some without too much effort. Where you catch one, there will be more. Sorry I can't be more specific; haven't been in a month or so, and they move around. :big_smile:

4. snakeman76

snakeman76 New Member

State:
    Tallahassee, Fl
    If you want to count floridas vote I have cought my belly full on nightcrawlers and raw shrimp this year:eek:oooh:

5. Sunbird

Sunbird New Member

State:
    Sandy Run,
    Gary, We got into a bunch of them out in front of Atkin's landing. Almost at the mouth on the Pinopolis point. Maybe they are still there? :wink:Good luck!!

6. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Joe Drose one of the longtime guides down there fishes with Junies stinkbait out in the shallow water in front of Angels down to the canal and loads up his boat most of the time with channels.he does this a lot in May /June when they are up shallow but I think if you do like Tommy says and anchor on any hump you find from 12-20ft deep and throw out prepared bait you are going to draw a crowd.The prepared bait puts out an enormous scent cloud the longer you stay anchored the better the bite is going to get.:big_smile:

7. iceman

iceman New Member

State:
    Walterboro S.C
    Is it better to catch channels in the daytime or night?

GARY

8. Sunbird

Sunbird New Member

State:
    Sandy Run,
    BOTH!!:wink:

9. billy29435

billy29435 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    let me know when you want to go try these methods :wink: Gary

10. iceman

iceman New Member

State:
    Walterboro S.C
    ill do it Billy

11. JDWILLIS39

JDWILLIS39 New Member

State:
    NC
    Gary I have caught several in that area we were fishing other day. Go east till water starts to get shallow and they will start hitting. I caught one over there a while back that was 10 lb. Edges of the ledges back toward Angel's usually produces channels if not some blues also. Leave the flathead's alone please :smile2: