Looking to fish-- the Altamaha River

Discussion in 'GEORGIA RIVERS TALK' started by rangercatman, Oct 10, 2006.

1. rangercatman

rangercatman Member

State:
    Cameron, NC
    Anyone by chance fishing the altamaha anytime in the next few days? I am stationed over @ hunter & want to do some flatcat fishing, I dont wanna go solo & would like to hook up w/ someone who has been on the river quite a bit.--fished it campng on a sanbar & caught my first flathead a couple of weeks ago. thanx- Dave

2. catmax

catmax New Member

State:
    georgia
    good luck buddy. i have asked some questions on here 3 weeks ago and still no reply.it seems like people dont want to talk about this river, they just want to tell u what they caught.

3. r ward

r ward New Member

State:
    Kathleen G
    I have only tried it one time but according to two of our BOC brothers [Gator and Catfish commando} Jaycees landing is the place to fish on the Altamaha Gator would be on here telling you that himself but his puter was hit by Lighting and the other one is our founder and he does stay busy if you send him a PM he could probley put you on a few places around there I do apoligize for not getting this info out to you catmax but i kinda figured some one else would cause we will help a brother when we can you both should come to the gathering at Altamaha park in April

4. spinner cat

spinner cat New Member

State:
    hinesville,georgia
    hey dave,
    not sure when you are talking about going fishing in the altamaha.let me know we might can get together.I usually fish one or two nights a week somewhere between jaycee and adamson's. the fish are biting but bait is getting a little harder to come by and in some areas the river is shallow and very dangerous at night for running an outboard if you dont know the area.If you want to give bank fishing a try go under the bridge on the long co. side with plenty of tackel and live bait,there have been some flats caught there.hope this helps

5. spinner cat

spinner cat New Member

State:
    hinesville,georgia
    hey catmax,
    welcome to the BOC,I see you joined in oct. and had some questions about the altamaha three weeks old with no reply.where did you post them? I searched for your post but none came up other than the one about those of us catching fish.I am on here almost every night looking and reading post( even the ones where people talk about what they catch) I am fairly confident if you had a question or needed a little help conserning the altahama river no one would mind trying to help you as long as they saw your post.:roll_eyes:

6. rangercatman

rangercatman Member

State:
    Cameron, NC
    Hey spinner - thanks for the info- yeah that would be great to hook up & go just let me know when- I got PLENTY of bait! Thanks for the help.

Dave

7. catmax

catmax New Member

State:
    georgia
    i have fished this river 3 weekends and caught only three fish. a 30,20,15. 100 yards up from the bridge by jaycees landing. its funny u said something about bait because the first time i fished the river i couldnt catch any bait, but last weekend everywhere i turned i was catching brim the size of small bass.but lets get to the point. everytime i see people going out to fish for flattys they go down stream from jaycees landing. is it better down stream right nowand what is in that water down there seems to be very merky.if anybody knows some good spots PM them please. and thank you guys for the response u have givin me

8. Cuda-Cada

Cuda-Cada Member

State:
    Jacksonville, Fl.
    Try Lake Bluff. About 5 miles downstream from Jaycees Landing. Deep water and I have seen some huge fish come from there. Watch out for the stretch right before it as the water is below 1 foot in some places. Good luck...

9. catmax

catmax New Member

State:
    georgia
    why is the water so dark. is it silt or what?????????????????

10. rangercatman

rangercatman Member

State:
    Cameron, NC
    Catmax-
    I have noticed the water change as well.. also I have caught more GAR past the paddle boat, now if I am up stream of jaycees I dont hook near as many- This has all been day time into dusk. My question on this is does the water content affect whats past the mill.

11. catmax

catmax New Member

State:
    georgia
    so if u had to put ur money on a spot would it be below jaycees landing. and does lake bluff have a landing or do u have to boat down the river to get to it

12. Cuda-Cada

Cuda-Cada Member

State:
    Jacksonville, Fl.
    There are huge fish in every part of the Altamaha. I have heard of three over 90 pounds and 2 came from up above Jaycees while 1 came downstream. There have even been some 80 pounders caught down in the tidewater section. I have fished the Altamaha for over 10 years now and I fish below Jaycees mostly. I love the way the river looks in this area and I am very familiar with it. Just a preference for me. Where ever you like to fish, once you spend enough time there you will catch big fish there.
    There is no Lake Bluff ramp but you can launch at Morgans Lake. You will have to pay a fee but it is closer to Lake Bluff than Jaycees Landing. I mostly launch at Jaycees because I can get worms and crickets there and I don't have to worry about my stuff being messed with when I stay all night on the river.
    Probably the mill has something to do with the rivers stain.

13. catmax

catmax New Member

State:
    georgia
    when u speak of tide water u mean fast moving water correct. and do u mostly fish the slow moving water. i live 4 hours away so im trying to learn as much as i can. im coming down friday and fishing all dam weekend. just look for the red chevy stepside.

14. Cuda-Cada

Cuda-Cada Member

State:
    Jacksonville, Fl.
    No, I mean the tidal flow. Down below Everett the river is affected by the tide since the river empties out into the ocean. 99% of the time I am fishing current. It all depends on time of year and river level to how fast of water I fish in. River is very low now so most of the river flow around Jesup is moderate to say the best. Good luck this weekend and let us know how you do.

15. Bobby Parker

Bobby Parker New Member

State:
    Georgia
    There is a big pipe down below the train trestle. This is where Rayonier dumps all their waste from the mill. It's not supposed to hurt anything. I don't know about that. They really turn it loose late at night. With the river as low as it is , it changes the color to a brownish color. It don't have any affect on the fish as far as I can tell. Some people say they can taste it in the fish, but I never have.
    God Bless
    Bobby