Looking to buy first handgun

Discussion in 'Handgun Talk' started by 7mmmag1, Nov 12, 2009.

1. 7mmmag1

7mmmag1 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I am thinking about buying a handgun for my 21st birthday. I grew up around guns and own a Weatherby Vanguard in 30-06, a Wolf muzzleloader 50 cal, a Marlin semiauto 22, and a 12ga Remington 870. I have shot a 45 before and it was fairly easy to manage, and I've shot my dads 22 revolver before and its simple.

I want something that is cheap to shoot and about 400 bucks or less. I was thinking of starting with a 22 revolver something like a ruger single six and later getting something like a S&W 1911 in a larger caliber later.

Can you guys make a few suggestions? Mostly all I know about is long guns but would like to take the 22 along fishing for snakes, plinking and self defense while night fishing, and the larger gun would probably be only shot occasionally and mainly used for home defense

2. riverbud55

riverbud55 Well-Known Member

State:
    AZ Topock-/CA Riverside
    Name:
    Dale Miller
    think a great 1st handgun would be a Ruger mark III, if it were me it would be a SS Bull barrel, you will never tire of using it:wink: and you can't find anything cheaper to shoot:wink:

Last edited: Nov 12, 2009

3. canebreaker

canebreaker Well-Known Member

State:
    Southaven,MS
    Get into reloading if you want to shoot cheap.

4. BajaCoop

BajaCoop Well-Known Member

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO
    I bought a SW .22 with the 7.5 inch stainless fluted bull barrell. It also has the weaver rail to mount scopes and stuff. I Paid about 325 for it. I really like it because i can actually afford to go shoot it.

5. gardengrz

gardengrz New Member

State:
    wakeman,ohio
    yup RUGER MARK III or SUPER SINGLE SIX . how bout one of each ?:smile2:.....:big_smile::cool2:

6. Kip Brandel

Kip Brandel New Member

State:
    Glasgow, Kentuc
    I am actually looking at this gun for my daughter for christmas. She wants to get into bolling pin shooting and it looks like a good peice. I wanted a Buckmark as everyine I have shot was great, but the S&W price difference is hard to ignore!

7. BubbaCat

BubbaCat Well-Known Member

State:
    Arizona
    luv my s&w model 63:big_smile:

8. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    my first hand gun was an H&R 9 shot revolver target pistol... i would def suggest going out and looking at revolver .22's because they are cheap to shoot and the simplicity of a revolver makes them safer to shoot in my book, especially if there is a jam in an auto and you aren't sure how to handle it.

9. 7mmmag1

7mmmag1 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    About how much is it to reload like a 9mm, and what would be a solid cheap reloader? I used to reload my shotgun shells but my reloader broke and have yet to replace it because I still have like 4 cases of reloaded shells left to shoot

10. Kip Brandel

Kip Brandel New Member

State:
    Glasgow, Kentuc
    Your best bet would be something like a Rock Chucker set. They run about $300 and you have everything but dies. http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=646599
    You will want carbide dies for a pistol so add about $41. http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productnumber=757170
    Shell holder about $7
    http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=497855

Then Primers are about $25-$30 a thousand.
    Powders are about $20-$25 a lb.
    Then what ever bullets you want and brass if you need to buy some.
    You will eventually need a tumbler to clean the brass but that will be a little down the road.
    I started with a Rock Chucker set and 25/06 dies. Now I have about 35 sets of dies, the Rock chucker 2 Dillon 550's and 5 heads for them. With all the other stuff I picked up, Tumbler, separator, decapping die, Shell holders, Primer pocket cleaners, flash hole deburer, Bench..... I probably have $2-3,000 in it. Not counting the 2-3 thousand bullets, about 5 thousand primers and 15-20 lbs of powder.

11. 7mmmag1

7mmmag1 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Thanks looks like I will probably be getting a reloader when I buy a large caliber. I'd like to get one for my 06 but I only shoot about a box or two of ammo through it a year. Btw that New Model Single Six looks awesome I'm sure the mark III is a good gun too but I don't really care for the luger look

12. Kip Brandel

Kip Brandel New Member

State:
    Glasgow, Kentuc
    The best part is once you get the reloader then another caliber is only about $30 away for rifles and $45 for pistols! Then you can do stuff that you cannot buy like a 260 grain 45 acp or a round ball load for your 30-06 or how about a 62 grain 223 bullet at 4000+ fps out of your 30-06 with a sabot!!!

Last edited: Nov 12, 2009
  13. 7mmmag1

7mmmag1 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
  14. playin4funami

playin4funami New Member

State:
    Saronville Ne.
    The ruger mark series .22 are just awesome,have a mark 3 in stainless with the bull barrel it gets used more than any other firearm I have,i had a slbside but sold it and now kick myself for it. If the price wasn't an issue I'd get a kimber .45 acp with a .22 long rifle conversion,shoot the heck out of the .22 for cheap and still have the .45 for other uses. One of my favorites was a old markov that shoot the 7.62x25 round,incredible power out of a handgun and cheap,but ammo was very limited and couldn't get any but fmj so I sold it.

15. m slayton

m slayton New Member

State:
    florida
    the conversion kits are a very nice investment as the other feller said. if you buy a glock kimber some sigs i'll find a link for it but you can buy a kit that comes with a new barrel ,top slide ,and recoil spring fer about 250-300 bucks and is comes wit 1 or 2 mags this kit replaces you large cal, gun and turns it in to a 22 lr thus making said gun much cheaper to shoot and you still get the learning exp. of firing the gun istead of plinking with another one and having to relearn to shoot and hold the new firearm. http://www.alpharubicon.com/leo/aaconversionmpblue.htm for glocks .
    http://www.kimberamerica.com/shop/section.php?xSec=19 for kimber.
    http://www.22lrconversions.com/ for most other guns and some rifles