looking to buy a jon boat

Discussion in 'Boating' started by OklahomaFever, Apr 21, 2008.

1. OklahomaFever

OklahomaFever New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    i want it to have a livewell...and a little room...about 14 or 15 feet....any thoughts? been looking for a while...but really cant make my mind up? do any of you own jon boats?

2. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK

3. big corey

big corey New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    i gotta a alumacraft1436l jon boat i think its a 06
    igotta 95 15 evinrude on it and a 46lb trrust trolling motor
    it didnt come with a livewell but i got one put in it
    i think it was like 150 its pretty good for the fishing i do
    which is river fishing sometimes i wish i had a little bit
    more motor but with gas prices like they are ill have
    to think about it that boat on ebay is kinda rough and ugly
    to me but for 200 its cording on your price range

4. OklahomaFever

OklahomaFever New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    phil....lol i gotta buy new

bc....got any pics of it?

5. OklahomaFever

OklahomaFever New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    my price range is about 3,500-5,000 i want something nice for the river...nothing over the top...i am still in college...but something me and a buddy can run trotlines with on weekends...

6. big corey

big corey New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    i should have sum pics tommorow but you could get a rig like this
    new for under 4500

7. FLATHEAD STEVE

FLATHEAD STEVE New Member

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA
    TRACKER ALL WELDED GRIZZLEYS are some sweet boats, that is what im going to get soon.

8. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    Jons are sized by length and bottom width...length in feet, width in inches. A 1448, then, is 14' long, and has a 48" bottom. A 1648 is a good size, that won't get you in trouble. The 1448 would be okay for two, but there really isn't much price difference between the two.

Riveted boats cost less, are a lot lighter, and will perform better, with less power. They've gotten a bad rap, largely because people have abused them, taking them places they were never intended to go, and doing things with them they were never intended to do. If you're the kind of guy that takes care of stuff, go with rivets. If not, you'll be happier with a welded hull.

The livewells that are built into the seats on jons, that just have a hole in the bottom, and no plumbing, aren't much good, as is, and require quite a bit of modification to be satisfactory. I think you'll be happier with a freestanding livewell. If you check the member library, you'll find plenty of helpful ideas.

9. graybeard

graybeard New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I've got an old 1648 Monark and I just love it. The livewell in the center seat is plugged and used for storage. I just got a big cooler I throw in for a livewell/baitwell. Put an aerator in it when it gets hot. I like to keep it simple myself, but to each his own. One thing I would say, if you are gonna fish with one or two people, get one with no center seat or just one. Some boats have two, but that looks like too much to step over when you want to move around.

10. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    The wider the boat the more stable it will be. Like somebody else said, riveted boats got a bad rap, but that's all i've ever owned. I am not a big fan of welded boats. Its a personal preferance thing. After working on bicycles in a bike shop for 2 years as a teenager, i am leary (sp?) of anything aluminum that is welded. I have had to tell many a customer that their bike's frame is cracked at a weld and tell them its not safe to use. Dad has a 12 foot 1972 riveted boat that leaks at 2 rivets, and just barely at that. If we wanted to, we could probably tighten the rivets and stop the leak. Got an uncle who has abused his boat duck hunting for 20 years, doesnt leak a drop. Like has already been said, riveted boats are cheaper and lighter, buy a decent one and it'll last longer than you will probably care to keep it. I love my 1448, i can stand right at the gunwhale on top of the seat and the boat barely tips (and i weigh 250# on a good day). My only regret is that i didn't buy a 1648 instead. Good luck!

11. DJH1

DJH1 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I agree that a riveted boat is the way to go in a keepitsimple jon boat. Like was said earlier they're lighter and a 25hp will push anything up to a 16'er as fast as you wanna go. I also agree that a freestanding livewell would be better, just for the simple fact that the "in the seat" livewell on jon boats aint big enough for nothing but storage.

Alumacraft and Lowe both make good riveted jon boats, and lowe even makes a 1652. As far as I'm concerned, the wider the floor the better on a jon boat.

12. seaark ryan

seaark ryan New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I have an old 1448 lowe (rivited) and it doesn't leak a drop! The new lowe boats have a small livewell in the middle seat. If you are buying new I would get a small 4-stroke motor.

Attached Files:

13. StuBone278

StuBone278 New Member

State:
    south central Louisiana
    If you want a nice one that will hold it's value, I would go for an all-welded jon. I've got a 1432, could've gotten it without the middle bench seat, and should have. Get the most spaceous one you can get your hands on. Look here to get an idea on prices....
    http://www.directboats.com/jon.html

14. Bait Boat

Bait Boat New Member

State:
    Arkansas. Green
    You might want to contact f&F boats in monticello arkansas they build what
    you want anything you want .They will build me one soon. Nice people too

15. Tubby Catfishin

Tubby Catfishin New Member

State:
    Ramseur, North Carolina
    Hey I've also got a 14' jon that I fish outta of every weekend..... and I've taken 3 grown men out at one time..... Im runnin a 15HP mariner and 44lb thrust trollin motor and can do 21mph by myself. Not so fast when ya got 2 guys onboard.