Looking to buy a boat

Discussion in 'LOCAL SOUTH CAROLINA TALK' started by chumBucketKing, Jan 23, 2008.

1. chumBucketKing

chumBucketKing New Member

State:
    south carolina
    I would like to get a pontoon cause i jsut like that type of boat but i would like sone information on what would be the best type of boat that i can use for many diff types of fishing but mainly for catfish would appreciate some suggestions thank chumbucketKING

2. JKitterman

JKitterman New Member

State:
    Illinois
    What kind of water did you plan on fishing?

3. chumBucketKing

State:
    south carolina
    well small marsh rivers or fresh water lakes nothing that i would need a boat over 25ft to go into jsut somthing i can take out and do some serious fishing in and not have to wrry about anyhting

4. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    Sounds like you would fit right in with the crowd that like the 18-20+ft Jon boats. Might want to check them out before you buy a pontoon. Pontoons are great boats in you can leave them on a dock and don't have to trailer them, load and unload them at the ramp and never fish by yourself. At least this is my experience with them.
    Do you know anyone that can take you out on a pontoon or one of the larger Jon's to see how well they fish and how well you like them.
    Best of luck on the decision and purchase of what ever type of boat you decide on.

Thanks
    David

5. goingfishin

goingfishin New Member

State:
    Topeka, Ka
    One thing to take into consideration is that a catfish boat gets pretty dirty with your bait and catfish slim. So in my opion it is hard to use your catfish boat as a pleasure boat.

6. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    nice big wide 20 ft jon would do fine:big_smile:

7. JKitterman

JKitterman New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Did you browse the Boats forum? I don't know how small marsh rivers are but would you have draft problems or are they fairly deep with few obstacles? Jon boat are popular and you end up choosing between flat bottom, small v and deeper v styles. Have you been to the areas you wish to fish to see what people are using where? Are you fishing alone or with how many others?

8. chumBucketKing

State:
    south carolina
    thanks for the suggestions guysill look into it

9. weathermantrey

weathermantrey New Member

State:
    central,sc
    I bought a 24ft pontoon a few years ago and love it!!! I previously fished out of a 16ft basstracker and there just wasn't enough room. I decided on a pontoon b/c I only have a 5 minute haul to get to the lake I fish. So towing isn't a big deal. Anchoring a pontoon is a little tough, and of course they dont set speed records, but the benefit of having a HUGE amount of fishing space makes up for it. I've got 18 rod holders spread out on mine and it can comfortably fish 6 people off of it. Not to mention I have a removable hard top that covers the back half of the boat on those rainy days.

If you are planning on doing a lot of catfishing by yourself, you may want to consider a smaller boat, but if your like me and always have friends up for some cattin that can help pull up anchors then I'd suggest a pontoon.

10. weathermantrey

weathermantrey New Member

State:
    central,sc
    I forgot to add....

A big reason I went with a pontoon is that you can get them dirt cheap!!!

I paid 2,800 bucks for mine and it came w/ a 2003 model duel axle trailor.

I can deal with taking a few extra minutes to get to my fishing spot know that I saved several thousands dollars by not buying a center console...