Looking forward to Blackwater

Discussion in 'LOCAL WEST VIRGINIA TALK' started by jeremiad, Aug 7, 2006.

1. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    I was fishing a beautiful bend in the Blackwater River last year when I landed a bullhead. What surprised me most was that I was using Worden's Rooster Tail.

This same lure brought in a rainbow, brown, crappie, redear, largemouth, smallmouth, and the bullhead, all from along the bank of this river! I had never caught such a variety of fish in a single day.

I'm looking forward to getting back there this week!

2. MattShannon

MattShannon New Member

State:
    WV
    I've heard people say bullhead and shovelhead. Are they just small flatheads or what. Also, it is my understanding that a mudcat is a baby flathead. What do you think.

3. jeremiad

State:
    Virginia
    I'm no expert in this area, but I do know that bullheads have their own chapter following the one on catfish, in "The Art of Freshwater Fishing" book by "The Freshwater Angler" series of books. They sure do have a unique look to me! :big_smile:

4. Mountaineer

Mountaineer New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Blackwater has some NICE trout in it, great place for trout fishing especially when they stock it in the spring. I know bullhead's are in their own species of catfish, and mud cat's are just another word for flatheads to me? That's what I've always heard them called.:confused2:

5. jeremiad

State:
    Virginia
    I actually caught these fish above the dam, which surpirsed me. By the way, the "smallmouth" should have been "bluegill."

I would like to catch some of those trout. I'll be trying the dam tailwater; I hear that this is a pretty good spot.

6. jeremiad

State:
    Virginia
    No luck on the Blackwater... In fact, I was quite disappointed when I discovered that a fishing pier has been built on one of the most pristine and beautiful spots on the river. It was a nice place until misdirected tax funds ruined it...:sad_2a: