Looking for Ze Worm

Discussion in 'LOCAL ILLINOIS TALK' started by DetectDave, Sep 11, 2007.

1. DetectDave

DetectDave New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Do any of you fellas know of a source for catalpa worms in southern IL? I started using these last weekend at a buddy's place on the White River and I am sold on them.

2. John(Bullhead)Hagen

John(Bullhead)Hagen New Member

State:
    ILLinois
    :big_smile: Hey you know those come from the catapa tree which is the ones with the bean like pods on them.We use them clear till ice here but you have to pick your trees in advance.Such as honey lets go for a ice cream and a little ride in the country,she thinks you are the greatest and you can jot down were you see the trees for latter.Not all of the trees have the worm so you need to have several areas picked out.Some off the beaten path because you are not the only one looking for them.I started out with my grandfather 40 years ago getting them i was in high school and after school i would go with him and get them,they keep a very long time in the garage with fresh leaves every so often.I now use a bamboo pole and wire, hose clamped to it to pull the leaves down.Just keep loking but it may be a little late for this year but scout for next year.Cemetarys are very good spots but make sure you find rural ones for that is were they have them the most. Good Look.

3. DetectDave

DetectDave New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Thank you. I think most local sources have dried up but I did find some frozen over in Indianaplis so I might take a little roadtrip.