looking for winter blue catfish 2 to 3 hrs from youngstown

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by KTK9804, Dec 26, 2009.

1. KTK9804

KTK9804 New Member

State:
    oh
    any good spots to fish to catch blues within 2 or 3 hrs of Youngstown? have a bass boat to take and never went for blues in the winter. anybody have any locations?

2. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Fish the Ohio. Anywhere West of Portsmouth will get you some good blue cat water. Further west you go, better the fishing gets!

3. KTK9804

KTK9804 New Member

State:
    oh
    that's a 5 hr drive for me...little out of my range

4. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Sorry man, thats about as close as you can get for these southern species...
    Just make a weekend out of it and stay the night at a cheap hotel, or suck up to one of the guys that live close to the river. :smile2:
    Im over an hour from the river and the gas per year for 40 trips is quite serious so I hear ya loud and clear, its why I havent fished Erie in 7-8 years now, the 3.5 hr trip is just too far to do in a day.

Salmonid

5. ohio hilljack

ohio hilljack New Member

State:
    ohio
    They are right that is probably as close as you will get them. If you are going to make the trip though be sure and check the weather and get with the guys down south to be sure the water and ramp conditions are favorable .Long ways to drive then not be able to fish..

6. KTK9804

KTK9804 New Member

State:
    oh
    thanks...might just stick to catching winter channels in the river near me..they are easy to catch til the shad start to die out from winter kill...wont get any over 15 lbs but still fun and close

7. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Welcome aboard Kyle! Is the Belleville pool to far for you? It starts at Willow Island lock and Dam. West Virginia has been stocking this pool and the ones down from it for at least six years now. Granted it doesn't have populations like our south western water, but they are in there none the less. Google it and see what you think. :wink: