Looking for ways to preserve a catfish skull.

Discussion in 'LOCAL ILLINOIS TALK' started by Jnagel, Jun 7, 2009.

1. Jnagel

Jnagel New Member

State:
    Illinois.
    I'm wanting to preserve the skull of a 15lb channel. I'm trying to get the skull completely clean and bleached. What i'm trying to do is get the skull clean and put some sort of gloss on it and mount it to and wood plaque, i want to start saving the trophys to have more than a picture to remember it like large game hunters do. Right now i just have the skull sitting out in the sun with the flys eating at it with a rock in its mouth proping it open. I was wondering if any hunters or outdoorsmen have any suggestions on how to go about doing this. Any help mould be most appreciated. Thanks yall

2. Swampfox.

Swampfox. New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    yall got fire ants up there? if you do stir up a bed then sit it on top. wont be long the ants will strip it down.

3. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Google for Skull Cleaning Beetles

Dermestid Beetles are what is used in the industry. I remember seeing a place in Oklahoma City when I was there. You can buy your own colony of beetles but I don't know much about it.

Good Luck!

GROSS!:smile2:

4. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Any old ants will do. Then spray it down with Polyurethane :wink:

5. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    guys down here use ants to clean out turtle shells to use for plant pots. just stick it in an anthill and they'll clean it up real good for ya

6. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    Make sure you put it in a wire cage to keep critters from carring it off.

7. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    lol Jim I can hear it now, How'd them ants get that great big head down that little hole? :eek:oooh::crazy::smile2::smile2::smile2:

8. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    I figured there may be some Texas fire ants up there:smile2: Around my house the 4 legged critters carry every thing off. Broke the 2legged critters from doing that.

9. LMHart

LMHart New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    Found this at http://www.skullsite.co.uk/preparation.htm

Hope this helps and please post a pic when you get one finished.

10. Keny_Moye

Keny_Moye New Member

State:
    Washington, IL
    we always just boil the heads of our deer we kill and then take em out and let mother nature do the rest

11. Jnagel

Jnagel New Member

State:
    Illinois.
    Thanks for all of the help brothers. I just got a digital camera finally so i will be posting pics of the fish before and when i'm done. once agian thanks for all of your posts. I was told by everyone to google it which i did but i'd rather have some opions from fellow catfishermen.