looking for tent or closed in room on 24' pontoon

Discussion in 'Boat Modification Journal' started by afatcat, Jan 31, 2009.

1. afatcat

afatcat New Member

State:
    north carolina
    does anyone know where to find or some pic & website

2. crackers

crackers New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Im looking for a way to enclose a pontoon also, has anyone have a way of putting on solid walls on one I have a 32ft. That i want to enclose to make a camper pontoon out of. but ive never done that type of thing before and i dont want to have one made for it from tent material it would cost too much.. any ideas...

3. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    Back when pickup camper shells were all the rage, there were shops around that built them out of 1" square aluminum tubing and a very thin aluminum skin. They weighed next to nothing, and were easily insulated.

If you could find someone who could fab up something like that, it would be ideal.

4. OkieBo

OkieBo New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    There is a shop in shawnee that fabbed up some aluminum for the local liqour store. I was going to look into them for welding my livewell. I will see if I can get there #.

5. OkieBo

OkieBo New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    Nevermind I thought you was here in Oklahoma. I am sure you can find a local shop to do the job!

6. afatcat

afatcat New Member

State:
    north carolina
    thank bo

7. afatcat

afatcat New Member

State:
    north carolina
    thank dave

8. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    U could always build you own out of tin. Like a work shed on your boat. It would be a couple hundred pounds, but not that expensive and last a lifetime.

9. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Or, if you wanted something lighter, less expensive, but less permanent, you could build a frame out of 2" x 2" lumber, then staple on heavy plastic sheeting. Black would give you more heat & privacy; clear would let you see around you. You could even have the bottom part black for privacy, the top part of the walls clear for visability, and the roof black for heat.

10. papabear108

papabear108 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Another temporary solution has worked for me in the past. Carry your tarp with you when you go fishing. Get some parachute cord(sorry I don't know the real name for it, spent to long in the army)or some other sturdy line.
    1. Set up your canvas top
    2. Begin by spreading the tarp over the canvas top splitting the boat 50/50.
    3. line the rear of the tarp up with the rear rails of your boat.
    4. Tie one side down to the side rails and work your way front to back like you were lacing your shoes. I.E. tie the corner then around the rail, through the next eyelet, around the rail etc. etc.
    5. On the back side tie each corner down and use the shoe lace method across the back.
    6. continue to the front of the other side. BAM!!! an easy enclosure.

The excess tarp can be over lapped in the front to provide complete privacy/bug protection.

I have used it and it works. The down side is that you need to take it down before you start "high" speed travel. No problems at slow speed.

Hope this helps:cool2:

11. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    Another option is to go to the locl RV/ boat dealer and most will have a rivit gun that installs snaps. Then go and get some canvas or other fabric and cut it a few inches larger than the opening on the pontoon top and rails then take some parachute cord and lay it on the fabric and fold over the fabric like you are making a hem in pants. Then sew it up with the cord in the hem. Now add the snaps the the fabric above the cord and also to the ponton top and rails. This way you can snap them on and off when you want them.

12. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    I saw something today that made me think of this thread.

It was about a 24' 'toon, being pulled through town on a trailer. On the deck was what looked like a galvanized tin storage shed.

Now, 'toons aren't gonna win any beauty contests from the get-go, but this thing was just.....ugly. There's no way to sugarcoat it. Ugly.

I'm sure it serves its purpose, but I'd hate to wake up in the morning and see that in my driveway. I mean, I've already chewed one arm off.:crazy:

13. afatcat

afatcat New Member

State:
    north carolina
    dave thanks
    lol
    i like to put a tent or something like that if i could find some pics.

14. afatcat

afatcat New Member

State:
    north carolina
    just bumpin' it up

15. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
  16. Chalk

Chalk New Member

State:
    Union, South Carolina
  17. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    I saw one Last year on the lake that the guy had a inclosuer on. He had used light aluminum storm doors (the kind with windows it the top) and metal studding for the frame work. He had then sealed the seams between the doors with silicone sealer. He had the screens in the doors as well for ventilation. I talked with him for quiet a bit , and he invited me in for a tour of the inside. It was a very neat job. Wish I had got some pics of it other than in my mind. He Told me the reason he used the storm doors was it still let him see all around but made for great shelter on misty,rainy,wet days. Hope this helps.

18. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    "This is the people who build the enclosures for the guides on Santee Cooper."

Wow, those are sharp!

19. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    I've a older canvas tent I'll sell you cheap.
    But since you live in NC it probably wouldn't be worth it because of shipping SOOooo I'll suggest you contact a tent and awning company.
    They can probably custom build you something tent like.
    have a good 1
    just

20. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill