Looking For Sunfish to Stock

Discussion in 'LOCAL IOWA TALK' started by Pylodictis Olivaris, Oct 9, 2006.

1. Pylodictis Olivaris

Pylodictis Olivaris New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I have a small farm pond (my bait pond) that has a good supply of goldfish in it and nothing else. These things reproduce like crazy but it takes them a little while to get them to good bait size. Every now and then I will throw a few green sunfish in there as well when I have any left over after fishing. But I would really like to get my hands on a lot more sunfish to put in here as well to get them going too. The only problem is that I can never come across a good quanity of them at one time. I can catch a few every now and then but not enough to make a difference especially after I go fishing with them. I am looking for a place that I can easily get my hands on hundreds of these little boogers. Does anyone have any suggestions or know of an old pond that is over populated with these things;where a few throws of the cast net would fix my problem? I have the perfect setup with this bait pond but I would really like to replenish it a little bit before winter time comes. My main reason for doing this is that I don't have a bait shop within 30 miles of me that sells live goldfish or sunfish and if I need bait at anytime it is there 24/7 and it is a heck of a lot better than paying $ .75 a piece. Any suggestions. I'm willing to pay and or trade goldfish.

2. iowacatter

iowacatter New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Hey Todd,
    there is Beemer Fisheries, in Bedford, they have a good variety of fish and I think they are reasonably priced, from what I have heard. Dont know if that might be an option, but if it is, let me know. I have his phone number.

3. greg

greg USCA - STAFF Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    GA/ Ia
    Talk to the DNR they should be able to tell you where you can get some for pretty cheap maybe they will stock for you. Hope it helps