Looking for strong tomatoes !

Discussion in 'Garden Tips And Talk' started by Salthart, Jan 26, 2010.

1. Salthart

Salthart New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I am on a search for older tomato types with strong flavor. The ones I remember from childhood were somewhat sour. Big, rough, orange beefsteak types. But really, I don't care about the size or color or shape as much as the flavor !

If any of you know of a tomato type that fits the taste discription here, Please tell me where to find them or sell me some seed ! Something !

I love tomatoes and from my family's health history, Eating them is a good idea. I have over 100 plants every year and last year a good many more than that.

2. boswifedeb

boswifedeb USCA Jailhouse Lawyer

State:
    Tennessee
    Name:
    Debbie
    Have you tried looking on the Burpee site?

3. Salthart

Salthart New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Not that exact site yet. I have been to a good many and the trouble is, to them, ALL the tomatoes they sell "Have great tomato flavor" LOL. I have yet to see one say "This tomato tastes to strong" Or this is a very strong flavored tomato" Or even "This tomato is weak flavored and mushy"

4. Cattledogz

Cattledogz Active Member

State:
    NC
    Hey Marty,
    I have been very satisfied with heirloom seeds from Heirloomtomatoes

If you can't find what you are looking for there you likely won't find it! And you can get a free seed sample by sending them a SASE or signing up for their free newsletter.

They also have other veggies in heirloom varieties.

Its a great site with tons of good info!

Let me know what you think.

Happy gardening! :smile1:

5. Salthart

Salthart New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Thanks Barb ! I did check out the site and liked it. I thought I'd made a post here thanking you but I guess I goofed up somehow. Anyway, thanks much !

6. Salthart

Salthart New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Ok, Here is what I have so far. I am going to try 4 tomato types this year. Kellogg's breakfast, Green Brooks, Mater Sandwich and the Italian one I can't say much less spell..LOL Wish me luck !

7. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Marty keep us posted on the results. I find this thread interesting. I have never planted to just get a strong tomato. What made you settle on these types? Where they represented as being extra strong?

8. wylie catter

wylie catter Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Good Luck with them. I've been looking for one myself. I know big boys aint it. I had a bunch of them last year and didn't like then at all. Better Boys are ok.

9. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    Try a few Brandywine tomatoes , they are all I grow .

10. Salthart

Salthart New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    One think I do know for sure, Brandywines are my least favorite. Far to sweet and weak tasting to suit me.
    Not to put them down or anything, They are the best liked in the world.

Micky, Yes sir, I have done a good bit of research and these are the ones that keep coming up as being strong or sour.

I have another post somewhere I think telling that I picked Kellogg's breakfast, Green Brooks, Matter Sandwich and the Italian one I can't spell or say..LOL

One more thing. In all the reading I have done, a few things keep coming up. People in different parts of the world saying the same tomato tasted different than people growing them elsewhere.

Well, I have been gardening here for 20 years and its only in the last 10 that mine have changed. Could be that something I've put in the soil like lime or fertilizer has changed the PH ?

I'll try and keep everyone posted as the year progresses. Ya'll do the same. And thanks !

11. Bryon

Bryon New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Tomatoes prefer a slightly acidic soil. You can add peat moss, mulch with pine straw & coffee grounds or fertilize with organic sulfur/urate or plain sulfur.

Home Depot has a ph meter in the garden dept for $10 that will help ya out.

12. Salthart

Salthart New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    THanks Byron, I'll see if I can't get one of those.

13. holliswood

holliswood Well-Known Member

State:
    King, NC
    I've always growed and loved German Johnsons and German Queens. IMO, good strong flavor, and will flat out make a mater sandwich with one slice. The German Queen is less acidic if you don't want the "burnt" mouth. It may be like this with all tomato's but, with the Germans, pick off the first blooms to prevent blossom end rot. Hoped this helped.