Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
913 Posts
They make terrible moonshine.. but i would try a grain elevator maybe? They might let you scoop a few shovels full from the offload spot where they spill or something.

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
Most farmers would be more than thrilled to let you scoop out the sweep auger pits after running the sweep augers out to the loading auger when loading trucks from the bins especially if the beans it the pit got rained on then layed out there wet for several days...lol

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
That's good but it only takes 5 gallon bucket of dry beans to make a barrel full of chum. You must going to chum big time.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's good but it only takes 5 gallon bucket of dry beans to make a barrel full of chum. You must going to chum big time.
First time I’ve used beans. I’ve gone through nearly a whole barrel of wheat in past years. I’m assuming your saying they expand quite a bit. I transfer it into five gallons and let it ripen.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
First time I’ve used beans. I’ve gone through nearly a whole barrel of wheat in past years. I’m assuming your saying they expand quite a bit. I transfer it into five gallons and let it ripen.
How much bean would you put in a five gallon to start fermenting? I filled them 2/3-3/4 with wheat when I used that and filled with water to the top basically.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Beans swell a lot more than wheat. I wouldn't go over 1/2 full to start with.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
I ferment in a big plastic barrel that's like 40 gallons. I put in 5 gallons of beans and 25 gallons of water and about a gallon of dry dog food. Stir about once a day for a week and do not seal tight. Make sure to leave some head space and you can add more water later.
I boil corn for carp chum and bait and any left over if not throwed overboard is added to bean barrel.
In a 5 gallon bucket a gallon of beans would be plenty.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Oops wish I read this sooner. I filled my first five gallon about 2/3 full with beans. Haha. It was overflowing in a couple hours. I just got done splitting that into a second bucket. Might need a couple more.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I like to chum with cracked corn. Sour mesh is a killer for channel.
Recipe:
5 gallon bucket
Enough cracked corn to half fill 5 gallon bucket
1 cup sugar
1 packet yeast
1 beer (lets dont go with the rot gut, catfish deserve better)

Fill 5 gallon bucket 1/2 full of cracked corn (feed stores carry this). add 1 cup sugar, the yeast and beer, then add enough water to fill bucket up 3/4 full let set in the sun for about a week. ****you know it is done when you start smelling moonshine. This is killer on channel, I have used it from a boat, bank and on rivers.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts