Looking for something to do?

Discussion in 'LOCAL OKLAHOMA TALK' started by AwShucks, Aug 18, 2006.

1. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    How about this for tomorrow....

Gar Rodeo is Saturday

Anglers looking for a different type of fishing experience might want to check out the Gar Rodeo at Lake Wister on Saturday.

The annual event is arguably the state's wildest and most unique fishing tournament. Anglers will compete to catch one of the hardest-fighting and hardest-to-catch fish.

When fishing for gar, about any bass rod will do, but gar have bony mouths loaded with sharp teeth, so it takes a special lure to catch them. Many anglers remove the hooks and replace them with skirts of frayed nylon. Hooks do not penetrate the gar's mouth, but their sharp teeth will become entangled in the nylon threads.

Registration is Saturday from 7 a.m. to 8 a.m. The fishing begins at 8 a.m. with final weigh-in at 4 p.m. Entry fee is $10 per person, cash only.

Anglers in the Gar Rodeo may fish in Lake Wister or the upper Poteau River.

For more information, call the Lake Wister Park office at (918) 655-7212.

2. skeetermagnet

skeetermagnet New Member

State:
    Edmond, Oklahoma
    That sounds like a lot of fun. If I didn't have a stinkin' wedding to go to right in the middle of the day on Saturday I'd be there. I've caught gar before, always on accident. They fight hard and run and jump, too. The only bad part is what to do with them when they get to the end of your rod.

If anybody goes definitely post some pics.

3. IrishO'Brady

IrishO'Brady New Member

State:
    Ga
    thats very cool... I wonder if I could talk some people around here into organizing an event of that nature in my hometown lake