Looking for some wisdom!!

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by bambam77, May 23, 2007.

1. bambam77

bambam77 New Member

State:
    nc
    NEW MEMBER HERE!!!

I stumbled across this site last week and i must say it's GREAT!!!!! I have picked up a lot of useful information and can see all of you take your catting pretty serious. I have fished the fear all of my life but have also been limited to bank fishing.My personal best on rod and reel was a 25lb blue! After hooking uup with a few big fish that i didn't land ( broke off ) I have really gotten the flathead fever. I know most of the usual baits for flatheads but i think location and not knowing what depth to fish is killing me. I've been fishing lock#3 downstream and all i can muster there are small channels while i'm waiting for a big bite on live bait. Also i'm using a basic carolina rig with a 3/4oz egg sinker. If any of you guys can shed some lite on my situation it would be gratefully appreciated !!!! Thanks and good luck to all y'all !!!!!!

2. floundahman

floundahman New Member

State:
    North Caro
    BamBam, Welcome to the BOC! I haven't fished the Cape Fear myself, but I know that there are quite a few members that do. I hope that you get that big flattie.

3. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Welcome to the BOC, always great to have another new member.

4. bilyjojimbob

bilyjojimbob New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I fish from the banks of the neuse. I use a humminbird castable fish finder w/ the screen on the watch so I can find the holes and drop offs and stuff like that. I too mostly catch smaller fish most of the time. but that live bait will go off every now and then. I just caught my pb flathead last week(26lbs) and also caught my first rock too. Just keep trying.

5. ltlcatman

ltlcatman New Member

State:
    north carolina
    welcome bambam i to am a bankfisherman till i find a decent johnboat :smile2: and i also am looking into fishing the fear im not to far away from there just outside lillington here good luck and get a bigun

6. bigblaze

bigblaze New Member

State:
    NC
    welcome aboard...

our best flathead bait is LIVE bream....Fishing from shore is not such a bad thing...

think about it when we fish from the boat we cast to the shore....big flatties roam the shallow sandbars and shore line during the evening and nighttime.

almost all the big flatheads we have caught have been in 2' of water or less

the shallow water lets the flatheads push the bream or live bait to the shore where they can ambush them...

We also prefer to use 2-5oz. (depending on current) no roll sinkers, this will let you put your bait where you think the fish are and the no roll will keep it there.

Also look for current breaks or seams, there is always exceptions to this rule but we have done real good in current breaks....remember flatties don't like a lot of current.

Our best fish have come about an hour or two after sunset.

hope this helps and GOOD LUCK!

7. catstalker459

catstalker459 New Member

State:
    state line city, indiana
    welcome to the BOC. and happy fishing, never fished cape fear but sounds like fun

8. pythonjohn

pythonjohn New Member Supporting Member

State:
    F L A Swamps
    Welcome to the BOC.
    Hope you chatch that big one!

9. BILLYP

BILLYP New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, North Carol
    Listen to bigblaze he has got it right.
    Flatties don't like sunlight at all and if at all present use a float and set it about a foot and a half down when fishing aroung log jams. This is how i have produced alot of faltties. They love log piles and most submerged under growth. Look for that and set a no-roll about two foot away from it or use the float and you will have yourself a flattie in no time.
    Remember if you don't loose any hooks and sinkers then you aren't fishing in the right spot for flatties.

10. STUMPKNOCKER

STUMPKNOCKER New Member

State:
    Georgia
  11. Matth2083

Matth2083 New Member

State:
    Raleigh
    Me myself am too a bank fisherman, it has its disadvantages, but it still very enjoyable and relaxing. My advice would be to be prepared for when you do catch up with that big flattie, you dont want to be caught unpreprared. Like the gent said earlier, 2-4 oz river sinkers work the best. be sure you have a solid rod/reel and practice those strong knots. I got snagged the other night and pulled my line straight back and my reel actually broke at the base before my knot did, fortunately my new abu garcia 7000 is in the mail. Also, dont be scared to invest a little money into some good line, you get what you pay for in my opinion. Patience is the key when bank fishing, use what resources you have and hopefully enjoy some good conversation with some buddies while waiting for the strikes. Best of luck.