Looking for some help

Discussion in 'ALL OTHER FISH' started by suddawg, Apr 4, 2006.

1. suddawg

suddawg New Member

Well, I'm deployed again for the 5th time. But things are better then deployments past, since I'm in Kuwait and on a Navy base. My problem is I'm from Nebraska and obviously I have never fished on the ocean before.

My question is does anyone have any tips on fishing off a pier/dock? The dock is about 7 feet above the water, and is pretty much the only place I can fish due to restrictions in certain areas. The Navy personnel seem to go fishing all the time with limited success, and the locals here say there's plenty of fish in the water.

Is there a specific rig for this kind of fishing, or would a simple Carolina Rig suffice?

Should I fish predominately on the bottom, or should I try and suspend the bait at a shallower depth?

Any help is much appreciated. Thanks

SudDawg

2. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Well, I'm no saltwater exepert by any means, but I'll try my best. First you gotta find what kind of fish are in the area. That will help you to determine where they feed, and what they feed on. A good way to do this is using a twin-rig, which had two hooks set on seperate leaders off a main leader, and an anchor weight. Put two seperate baits on each hook untill you determine what works best. You can also raise/lower such a rig to determine what works best at certain depths. Your carolina rig will work good, but will have best results with cut/live bait, fished for bottom species. Unless you use live with a longer leader which allows the bait to get off the bottom a bit.

3. QuincyFisher

QuincyFisher New Member

State:
    Quincy,Illinois
    Well when I went fishing off a pier off Florida in Naples we caught a ton of fish. We caught mackreal, lady fish, blue runners, a ton of catfish, and I even caught a hammerhead shark. All I did was tie a weight and a hook on put shrimp on it and tossed it as far as I could. There was no real technique I just reeled in and got a bunch. Hope this helps ya.

4. QuincyFisher

QuincyFisher New Member

State:
    Quincy,Illinois
    I also saw a lot of people using spoons with much success.

5. TA2D

TA2D New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Dude, when I fished for stingrays at some of the LZ's at Camp LeJeune, all I did was a carolina rig, I think that I was using 2-3 oz weights and cut squid on like a 2/0 offset J hook. My biggest stingray was just under 3 ft across and I am guessing around 30lbs. put up one hell of a fight, around 25-30 minutes. Most were around 3-5lbs. I was using a wallyworld saltwater setup, I think that it was called the "Orca" 8ft med/hvy spinning setup with 25 lb mono. Be safe over there bro.

Aaron
    TA2D

6. suddawg

suddawg New Member

One of our interpreters is bringing me some fresh squid/kuttlefish (could only get a rough translation of what it is,) and he told me that is the best bait here.

Thanks everyone for the great info, and wish me luck. Thanks again.

SudDawg

7. catcam

catcam New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Get ready for stingrays and sharks! Using squid your likely to bring up a number of things. Good Luck!

8. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    Ivy Bend on LOZ, Missouri
    I am looking at the time and thinking Spellster is addicted to BOC already....LOL:p

9. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Ocean fish act much different than freshwater fish.They aren't so spooky and are very aggressive. You should be able to catch many different fish in the surf. At times you will do better on the beach than a pier. Shrimp will catch many different fish and You can't rig wrong for salt water, just try many rigs and bait.

Danny

10. Gator

Gator New Member

State:
    Ludowici GA
    A Carolina rig will work but I would use a drop rig as with the coral and such around there you will get your weight hung up more that anything else. Squid and local shrimp along with some small peaces of cut bait will be the best bait you can use as far as dead bait. A sliver or gold color spoon will also work good as should a yellow buck tail jig. A lot of the fish that live near shore are going to be feeding in or near the reef and coral and then there are a lot of bottom feeders also. I use a 2 hook drop rig here and always around a lot of coral. This way instead of losing the whole rig I just lose the weight.

11. suddawg

suddawg New Member

I'm going back out this afternoon, well afternoon here in Kuwait. Had two good hits, but lost them each time. All the Navy personnel are telling me there's a much better place where they've been catching some small sharks, so I'm going to try there in a little bit. Everybody wish me luck!

SudDawg

12. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I guess I first started using a 2-hook bottom rig fishing saltwater (weight on bottom, 2 droppers above with hooks). I've caught lots of fish on squid; and shrimp, both live and dead; and cut bait; but, live fish are excellent for some species, too.

13. suddawg

suddawg New Member

But I think it was the smallest fish in the ocean:mad:

Don't know what it was, but it looked like a green sunfish but with a lot of yellow and blue.

Better than nothing. The Navy guys told me they're catching small sharks on whole/dead squid, and catching some barracudas every now and then. Mostly during the evening, so I'll be trying again Sunday evening. Thanks everyone

SudDawg

14. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    I'd say go with a top and bottom rigged w/ 2 size 2,1,or 1/0 hooks on it, Rig one hook w/ squid and the other with what ever other baits you can find, if you can't find any others just keep using the squid... the other thing you could do is if you have a second rod, while thats out there soaking, you could (if you can get them) toss out a sabiki rig for baitfish/small fish and cut them up just like you would for cats maybe even smaller pieces then that like 1 inch x 2 inch pieces or smaller... Or if you have it small hook w/ split shot just tossed out w/ a piece of squid on it for the bait...

15. suddawg

suddawg New Member

I appreciate all the info

SudDawg