Looking for some feedback on Abu Garcia fishing reels?

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by jerseycat9, Oct 5, 2007.

1. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    Ive been using Abu baitcasters since I was around 10 years old and have had this problem over and over actually two problems.

First problem is on the levelwind Abus every season I have a problem with the worm gear on the levelwinds. It seems the amount of use I put these reels through the fork that rides the worm gear on the levelwind guide gets worn down and begins to stick to one side of the reel on retrieve and builds line up to one side. I have a quick fix for it that gets me more time before replacing the fork by cutting one or two small spacers from paper and placing them in the cap that keeps that little fork in place. I was wondering if anyone else has this problem continually like I do? I have been using penns for the past 4 years along with my Abus and have never had this problem.

Second problem I have is the danged bait clickers. I dont use them as much anymore beins how I dont fish for Pike as much as I used to and switched to circle hooks for catfishing; but I used to wear out my baitclickers every season like clock work. I know that the problem is the plastic clicker but geeze ya think they would just go and make a metal replacement like the penns have. I have a back pack that is just loaded with Abus waiting for me to take the time for me to revive them back to life but I have gotten annoyed with the reels. I will admit that Abu has one of the best repair policies in the business but I do my own reel repairs and it saves me time and money for shipping.

Any input on these problems would be cool I just want to make sure it is not only myself who is loosing his passion for this brand

2. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    I've got a 6000 i've had for almost 8 years. Only thing i've done is cleaned,lubed and replaced the pawl. Its getting to where it'll need another pawl soon but thats no big deal and it still works great. I've never had problems with clickers though. I have 3 6500 c3's, 1 6000 and 1 6000C. They are all great reels and with regular maintenance and checkups they'll last forever. I also put mine through he!!

3. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
    I've never had to replace anything on my ABU's and mine range from 4 to 30 years old. The worm gear gets a small drop of oil after each trip, and two -three times a year I clean and lube the whole reel. I use the clickers all the time but, when a fish runs, as soon as I pick the rod up the clicker gets turned off and I use my thumb to control the run till I set the hook. One thing that I know is hard on the pawls is reeling against the drag, if the fish is pulling drag don't turn the reel handle. Also when bringing the fish in pump the rod and only reel as you let the rod down.

4. PhillyCatcatcher4

PhillyCatcatcher4 New Member

State:
    S.W.Phila.,Penn.
    Same here. My 7001 & 6501C3 haven't given me any problems in 6 years.:amazed:

5. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    It depends on conditions too.If your fishing near dirt or sand they should be cleaned and oiled nearly every trip. The pawl will wear out, it is supposed to, and if ya keep putting paper under it to make it stay down on the worm gear it will damage the worm gear pretty quick. Pawls are 3 bucks and well worth it. The clicker is usually the spring comes loose 9 outta 10 times. Unless you cast it a "few " times by mistake with it on.:eek:oooh::smile2: Abu makes some tough reels and not so tough, but they all need regular maintenence.

6. Crucial

Crucial New Member

State:
    Virginia Beach VA
    I personally have never had the issues you've spoken of but have heard a few other's that have had issues with the worm gear and pawl.
    Generally, and I'll say about 95% of the time.. the issue was one of general maintenance. The problem with a level wind is that it is an exposed gear and well... gears are intended to work in a well lubricated and dirt/grit/grime/sand free environment. Sand and dirt in your worm gear, even for a short time, can cause a lot of ware. Would you be OK with fist full sand in your transmission?

I only use a level wind on reels that see nothing but lure fishing. The level wind just offers me no benefit reeling a fish in and well.. if you get a piece of sand or dirt in there big enough to cause the reel to cease for even a split second with a trophy fish on it can cause a lost fish..

If you don't' want to lose the level wind all together a couple of tips I would offer:
    1) Grease not oil... the nature of the worm gear is such that most oil's won't cause enough protection from the metal on metal contact.. so use a light grease. I like Mil-Tec.. but any light grease would work.. a dab of Vaseline worked through the recesses would do better than nothing.
    2) Carry a can of WD-40 in your kit and when you notice any dabris in the gearing blow it out with the WD-40 immediately.. then when your done for the day clean the reel (which you should be doing anyway) and put some more grease in the recesses.
    3) never... never... "force" crank the reel when you feel grit in the gears... your taking years of ware off the reel when doing this in just a few seconds... that's not "hard use" that's abuse.

I know a gentleman that repairs and builds custom Abu's and he admits to hearing a lot about worm gear and pawl ware in the 5500's and 6500's (he said the more common models.. like what you'd get from walmart, cabelas BPS ect..). He contacted Pure Fishing (the parent company that make's Abu Garcia) to inform them of a trend and they acknowledged the issue and stated they had switched manufacturers of these parts and that the metals used in manufacturing the worm drives had changed. They said they were working to correct the problem. So out there somewhere is a significant number of the more common reels with poor metal in the worm drive.

There are several places you can get stainless wormdrives and pawls for the reels.. and you can go so far as to get a worm drive with bearings (as opposed to the plastic bushing) on each end as well ceramic pawls that many have swore by of recent times. Keep in mind that while the ceramic pawl will last almost infinitely.. the fact that it's harder than the steel worm drive means you'll have to be more attentive to keeping grit out of there! Which you should be any way..

The real culprit, like a lot of things in life.. is "they just don't make things like they used to"... There are ton's of the Swedish Abu's that are 50 years old still going strong.. quality material, quality construction, attention to detail... thing's that are just hard to find in any reel these days.. It's worth the time and cost to seek out the Swedish made Abu's.

7. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    Yeah I guess yall are right I just dont take the time to maintane my reels the proper way. I do remember them being a lot more durable and the penns I can beat the crap out of and they never complain except for the minor sqeeking here and there. Im gonna go through these reels again and try to keep them working tip top. If I still have problems by this time next year keep an eye in the BOC classifieds

8. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

I'll just go ahead and PM you my addy. That way I'll take those old aggravating things off your hands now. Best of all,,,I'll do it for FREE!!! :wink::smile2:
    Best of Luck to you Buddy!!!:big_smile:

9. crab

crab New Member

State:
    Ironton,Ohio
    I have a couple 5600 and a couple 6600 c4 and so far have never had trouble with either of them. but even when new I lube them out of the box with hot sauce and grease. I also lube them and clean them a few times a year. I too take the clicker off when a fish strikes and I also dont reel when the fish pulls drag, but Im used to that with my spinning reels while bass fishing because it will tangle your line. Sounds like all sound advice hope it helps you out bru!

10. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    id rather use oil on my levelwind than grease. dirt and sand seems to stick better to grease than oil:wink:

11. Crucial

Crucial New Member

State:
    Virginia Beach VA
    Anything is better than nothing...

The only way the grease will hold more dirt than oil is if you cake it in there... or pack the levelwind assembly like free roller bearings..lol... The surface tension of grease is less susceptible to finer wind blow dust and the viscosity will protect better against the few bits that do get in there until you can get them out.

Oil doesn't have the viscosity needed to protect gears over time, it doesn't have the consistency to stay in the races, it will just run and drip to what ever direction the reel is being held in.. gravity reigns king and while grease won't defeat gravity it puts up a heck of a fight :wink:.. especially in hot summer weather where oil's have the lubricity of water....

As a general rule of thumb, "gears" in a reel should receive a light coat of grease and bearing races, surfaces and even sealed bearings should take a drop or two of oil. Simple maintenance will make even economy reels last many years.

But again.. anything is better than nothing.. just keep that dirt out of those gears.

12. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
    I use grease on anything that turns on retrieve only, anything that turns during the cast gets oil. The one exception is during the hot summer I will use light reel grease on the spool bushings (I only use bushing model ABU's) but it's oil for them as soon as the weather cools.

13. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I have good sucess with the Abu Reels, I am like Griz I use the Bushing models to.

14. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    Well I have repaired 5 of my Abus yesterday new pawls(forks) on all and replaced the plastic clicker on two. Im gonna use these reels heavily in the next few months and see how they hold up.

15. Willowcat

Willowcat New Member

State:
    Texas
    Fish long enough and you'll realize that Abu-Garcia reels are a waste of money.

Personally I have used Abu-Garcia's (mostly 5500 C's and C3's) for twenty years. I can't begin to tell you how many I've bought and how many are unusable now. I have ten in a box just for parts. The others I gave away to my brothers and friends for parts. I've had it with these junk beginner baitcasters. I've been a Shimano man for ten years now and not one of their baitcasters have broken down.
    Well, except the silver Corsair 400 and when I sent it back to Shimano, they sent me a brand new gold Corsair 400 A. A reel to be proud of. Now I have two 400's, two 300's and two 200's. I fish a lot and do a lot of casting. The Shimano reels run as smooth as the day I bought em...jim

16. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I've got an Abu 6500, and it's a great reel for light tackle fishing, but it can't begin to compare to a Penn for handling big fish, for ruggedness, and for holding up for decades without repairs. And I can hardly hear that wimpy clicker when a fish starts taking out line. Of course, if there's any current, I don't need a fish for the line to go out. But the reel makes up for that by not having enough drag to pull in a large eater sized fish against the current.