Looking for some boat buying advise

Discussion in 'LOCAL ILLINOIS TALK' started by Darrell, Apr 14, 2006.

1. Darrell

Darrell New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Illinois brothers,

I am looking for a good boat dealer in Central IL. Does anyone have a recommendations? I am going to buy a new cat boat but I dont want to pay for a salesman's next vacation to Hawaii! I also need to know if they have an internet site so I can order it from here and have it ready when I get back home.

Darrell

2. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Are there any boat manufacturers within driving distance? If so, you might be able to find a dealer that will let you order a boat through him, then pick it up yourself at the factory...assuming you're even interested in doing that, of course. I saved $100 by picking up my Lowe BigJon at the factory; it cost me about $20 in gas. Also, if you can find a new, last year's model sitting on a dealer's lot, you should get a really nice markdown on it. I saved almost $500 by doing that when I bought my 25hp Yamaha 4 stroke.

3. TeamCatHazzard

TeamCatHazzard New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Darrell where are you at in Illinois? I know of Clark Boat and Motor around here in East Alton, but they seem to be kind of higher priced. They have an internet site. Also S&R Marine up around the Hardin area. Although I bet you are more in the central part of the state but these may be within driving distance of you? Let us know where you are at and maybe we can help you out a little more! O and I would highly recommend SeaArks!

4. Rivercat2

Rivercat2 New Member

State:
    Morton,Illinois
    I now guys who have bought boats off of S&R Marine in Beardstown and said he is the only dealer they would buy from he carries SeaArk boats and I would recommend seaark they are the best catfishing boat on the market.

5. Darrell

Darrell New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I am in Arthur IL, you know Amish Land. Anyway, I will drive a reasonably far distance to get what I want. Beardstown isnt but a couple of hours. Not a problem.

I am needing a boat that will handle the wabash and maybe a smaller river now and then. I was looking at the lowe line but the name seems to have a $ tag to it. I havent looked at SeaArk yet.

I do know that I used a semi v at Ky Damn and it didnt do well in the currents. I am looking for a flat bottom 17-20 ft range that has the rail system to add options when I want them. Like a gun box or a live well.

Bass tracker has a $7000 boat jon that looks nice but I have to drive all the way to N Chigaco to get that.

D

6. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    spend a long time to decide what boat you want. When you decide you have picked the perfect boat for you, forget it. Buy one at least 2 sizes bigger with the biggest motor it can carry.

As always, I am often wrong.

7. malaki

malaki New Member

State:
    Redmon Illinois
    on RT1 up buy west feild somebody opened up a marina in the old mr. discounts furniture store. looked like they had the showroom full of everything to speed boats to jon boats but havent had time to go up there and look. i happened to live between arthur and the bash so stop by and show me your boat when you get home. lol:)

8. eogden

eogden New Member

State:
    Carlinville Illinois
    Darell,

Try Hanks Sales & service in Raymond. He handles Lowes as well as several others & I knoe that people drive from other states & do business with him.
    A Rough Neck is a fine one for catting & think he hanles them.
    Eric

9. Shawn

Shawn New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Hank in Raymond has been in business a long time, and has a good reputation from what I remember....

I've heard a lot of good feedback on smoker craft (i have '61 plain old v-hull); you might check with Heartland Marine in ElPaso. I think Smoker Craft makes v hulls only, although doesn't Lund also?

I think the Lowe's are still pretty good boats, Alumacraft is another brand I would consider.

I would avoid the Tracker boats. I've heard a lot of mixed things about those.

If your considering buying used, check the online classified of Springfield, Bloomington, CHampaign, etc

Shawn

10. Doyle

Doyle New Member

State:
    Illinois
  11. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    In the past 30 years, ihave had trihull to rough , johns to unstable on rough water, i like v hulls with deep sides. I currently am fishing a 16 ft smokercraft. with a 40 hp eveinrude and this may be last boat ibuy. i finnaly found what i like . Try to ride in as many different styles ,sizes , ect aas you can to find what y9ou are looking for,before putting down hard earned cash. good luck .they don't say "DREAM BOAT" for no reason

12. wendell

wendell New Member

State:
    illinois
    Quillers marine in hamburg il. has the best prices in the state. They stock at least a 100 new jon boats and many used.
    RR 1 box 130
    Hamburg il.
    618-232-1218
    Ask for Manny

13. Darrell

Darrell New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Thanks guys, I will try to shop around and compare. Awesome replies! I have been busy lately and havent had too much time to check on this.
    I hope to have one ordered really soon.

Big D in the Desert

14. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    Ivy Bend on LOZ, Missouri
    Darrell its good to see ya postin...ya had me worried ya knothead Sir!:p

15. Darrell

Darrell New Member

State:
    Illinois
    At Ease Soldier! I have been busy as a one legged man in an..........you get the picture. :)