Looking for Skips...

Discussion in 'LOCAL TENNESSEE TALK' started by Patmansc, Nov 9, 2007.

1. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Cordova, TN
    My wife & I will be driving to Memphis from Greenville (SC) for Thanksgiving, and I was wonderin if there is someplace not too far off of I-40 that we could stop and try for some skipjacks on the way back? Thanks very much for your help :big_smile:

2. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Take a look at a map and see what you think about going over to Chattanooga then taking US72 to Memphis. That's the way I go to Chattanooga when I'm visiting relatives there. It's almost all 4 lane divided highway, although not Interstate. That would put you going through Corinth, Mississippi. Pickwick Dam in Tennessee is about 30 miles north of Corinth. If the skippies aren't hitting there, you can go south a few miles from Athens to Wheeler Dam in Alabama. Pickwick is where I get my skipjack, but I get them in the spring; they were hitting during the fall gathering, but not as well; I've never been to Wheeler, but there have been lots of posts from people who had real good luck on skipjack there. Shilohred lives close to Pickwick and can give you an idea of how they're biting there.

3. stumpjumper

stumpjumper New Member

State:
    Dallas, GA
    They were far and few between for us last weekend at Chickamauga, but the ones we caught were big. The week before that they were hitting real good. Good luck!

4. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Hey Pat
    I used to live not too far from I-40 . It will run you right by Percy Preist Dam, You should be able to hit the skips there....if not try getting off of 40 at the Gallatin exit and run to the Gallatin Steamplant. It is probably at least 15 or 20 miles from the 40 exit. But skipjacks will not be a problem there.

5. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Almost forgot, if Pickwick & Wheeler don't pan out, you're going to be crossing the Tennessee River 2 or 3 miles above Nickajack Dam. That'll give you 3 shots at them.

6. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Cordova, TN
    Thanks very much for your suggestions, guys, I really apreciate it. :big_smile: