Looking for skipjack at the steam plant or the dams

Discussion in 'TENNESSEE RIVERS TALK' started by billcatfish, Jun 20, 2007.

1. billcatfish

billcatfish New Member

State:
    evansville Ind
    is any one finding any starting to run low an was thinking about maken a trip down there any info will help thanks

2. Tackle_Shack

Tackle_Shack New Member

State:
    Tn
    As far as I heard skipjack are far and few between, But some are being caught at the dam but you need a boat.

3. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    If you give me 5 inches of rain I'll show you where to catch em, if not your in the same boat as the rest of us. Far and few between

4. Tackle_Shack

Tackle_Shack New Member

State:
    Tn
    I will tell you the deal on Monday, I'm going to attempt to go EARLY Sunday morning at Cheatam Dam.

5. stephens

stephens New Member

State:
    clarksville tn
    went to cheatum dam this morning and fished for skipjack and fished five hours and only caught 5. they are leting very little water out and now they are letting it flow out of 4 gates and there is very little flow

6. Tackle_Shack

Tackle_Shack New Member

State:
    Tn
    John were you fishing from a boat or off the bank?

7. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I went two times these last few days and have came home with 13 some pretty decent size like 3 plus pounds but they just aren't putting enough water thru to keep them around I guess. But I am not going to complain, I have enough to last me a few trips and I plan on using every one of them.
    I get pissed when a few guys i know have catch a bunch and let them go to waste, throw them away and then get more. We may have a lot of them around now or at least when the water is up but that doesn't mean it will stay this way if we abuse them. I know of a few places that used to have plentiful supply of them and now they are far and few between. And I don't want to be stuck using shad.

8. stephens

stephens New Member

State:
    clarksville tn
    don i was in the boat went today and caught 24 skipjack jack in 2 hours there was a little more flow .

9. Tackle_Shack

Tackle_Shack New Member

State:
    Tn
    OK John thanks, I will try and get up there with the boat Sunday morning. Probably just put in at Riverside and run up there and do alittle fishing on the way back.
    Thanks again...Don

10. whymustichasethecat

whymustichasethecat New Member

State:
    Tackle Shack,
    I've been fishing Cheatham Dam lately. They haven't been generating at Cheatham for about a month but they have the spillway open. If you've got a boat, pull up in the current generated by the spillway (on the lock side) and you'll catch all the skipjack you want. If you catch a few more than you actually need (if that's possible) pull up close to the bank and toss them next to some of us bank fishermen!

11. Tackle_Shack

Tackle_Shack New Member

State:
    Tn
    Went to Cheatam Dam yesterday, I couldnt believe the water comming out of the flood gates. Spent about 45 minutes up there and never got bit. Didnt see any jumping around and I didnt see anyone catching any, so I took off.

12. TNBigCat

TNBigCat New Member

State:
    TN
    I went Sunday evening and didn't catch anything but everyone else's line and even the lines that people left behind. I did notice that the turbines were open from 3-6pm and the flood gates were also open during this time. I was bank fishing for skips and caught nothing.

Stephens, you said you were fishing in a boat, what time of day were you fishing and were any of the gates or turbines open? Thanks.

13. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I went out on old hickory, the skips were schooled up thicker than I have ever seen them before. They were like a school of mullet in the ocean but I couldn't get them to hit anything. I don't know why, I was using silver sided minnows and they were chasing baby shad but couldn't get a hit.

14. stephens

stephens New Member

State:
    clarksville tn
    there were 4 gates open and the turbine was not running hope this helps. i fished from about 7 am to 9am

15. Tackle_Shack

Tackle_Shack New Member

State:
    Tn
    John, when you was up at the dam were you fishing the side with the turbines or the lock side? How close to the gates were you? When I was up the last week there was some serious water comming thru the gates, I couldnt believe people was getting that close to the "white water" comming thru the gates...especially in a little 10' jon boat that one dude had!!
    Thanks

16. TNBigCat

TNBigCat New Member

State:
    TN
    I went the morning of the 5th. Launched the boat at about 515 in the morning and stayed until about 930am. We tried all over the place and caught nothing at all. There were a few other boats and it looked like they caught nothing either. We all seemed to go all over the place and had no luck. 4 of the gates were open and a lot of water was coming out and none of the turbines were running either. Good luck.

17. TNVOLCAT

TNVOLCAT New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    My Dad and I went this morning to Cheatham Dam. There were four gates spilling but no generation. We fished from the dam down a little past lock B. Only managed four small cats and no skipjacks. We fished from 8 am-1 pm. We were not to serious about fishing today, my Dad just got a new boat last week so we were more concerned with trying the boat out and scouting out some good big cat locations.

18. stephens

stephens New Member

State:
    clarksville tn
    don i was about 50 from the gates and it was close to the 4 th gate close to the turbine side. hope this help they are in there.

19. Tackle_Shack

Tackle_Shack New Member

State:
    Tn
    Ok John, thanks. Guess I will try it one more time...