Looking For Rod/ Reel For Channel Catfish

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by fishinpals, Jun 2, 2006.

1. fishinpals

fishinpals New Member

State:
    Virginia, Illinois
    Looking for a good outfit for fishing for channel cats. Have several lakes in area that have them up to 20 pounds. Have noticed that you have to cast a long way out due to the weed lines. Got some ideas on what outfit to get and line strength. Thanks

2. shield64k

shield64k New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I personally only use ugly sticks, I like the 5'10 a bit more than the 6'6 but the 6'6 is a lot more sensative at the tip. For a reel I love my new Abu Garcia 302. As for line, I haven't found one I liked to much, I have shakespear red cajun 17lb on there now, great line but the stuff coils out like crazy.

-Bill

3. bottom_rig

bottom_rig New Member

State:
    baltimore, md
    i bought a 7ft Shakespeare Ugly Stik Catfish rod and reel combo about 3 years ago for around $40 bucks, ive caught a ton of fish and all my largest channels on that rod, its the favorite that i own. its sensative but sturdy as anything ive used. i have 30lb berkley pro braided on the rod. for the price its the best ive bought. hope this helps

4. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    A Shakespere ugly stik catfish rod 7ft, and ABU 6000 or 6500 and berkly biggame line 20-lb test would be a great setup.

5. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    If you don't know how to throw a baitcaster I'd an ugly stick spinning combo, they are around $40.

6. catsrking

catsrking New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Yes sir. I have a 6500 c3 abu reel on an ugly stik that works great. It is strung with 20lb line as well.

7. fishinpals

fishinpals New Member

State:
    Virginia, Illinois
    thanks for the info. have plenty of baitcasters but the rods I have are 5'6" and don't get the distance. will get a 7 footer. thanks again

8. Ghoulscout 13

Ghoulscout 13 New Member

State:
    North carolina
    if you dont have the cash for an Abu you can go with a tidewater baitcaster, they sell em at wal mart for like 35 bucks and they cast a country mile. but get the ugly stick for sure

9. whiskerchaser

whiskerchaser New Member

State:
    New Mexico
    Thats the same thing I use agree wit ya 100%

10. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    there are 2 fairly cheap rods i would recommend that are 7ft or longer... Bass Pro has one called the Power Plus... 2 piece rod, 7.5ft long mh action... send your bait sailing out there with a 3/4 or 1 ounce weight... the other i'd reccomend is a Renegade Tuff Max (i think thats the name of it...) its a Walmart brand... its 7 ft long but like its name says its a tuff SOB... Its the only "small" rod i use for tournies other then the bait rod...

Both of these matched with an Abu 6500 and 15 lb test line, will be able to bring in any fish your lake has to throw at it...

11. vacatfish

vacatfish New Member

State:
    bedford virginia
    May want to keep in mind the classified ad area. for the post like this. or you may want to talk to the our boss or one of the mods about posting this public.

I think there is a small understanding charge for a classified ad. but hey that little gos into making whay we enjoy evev better.

I have noticed many who have in a creative way have been slightly trying to avoid the classified area.

May want to read the rules here when it comes to wanting to trade and sale items.

Not being smart but just a tip and a heads up.

12. vacatfish

vacatfish New Member

State:
    bedford virginia
    Don't know how i ended up doing it but my above post was aimed for another thread please look over it.

I do not know how in the world i clicked the wrong thread. sorry again.

13. breadboy

breadboy New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I like my medium 6'5 to 7 foot spinning outfits. For cats over 6 pounds, I prefer my medium-heavy baitcasters though. Hard thing is I go out for big ones and I catch small ones. I go out for small ones and I get big ones LOL.

14. qball

qball New Member

State:
    Odum, Ga
    I use a ugly stick cat rod with a corsair 400 spooled with 25lb line and its just right for channal cats.

15. RPnKC

RPnKC New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I have been using Ugly Stik CAL1100's (7' Medium Action) w/ Abu 6500's. This season I am downsizing for channel cats to Ugly Stik CA 1166-1M (6'6" Medium Action) with Abu 5500's that I added line-out alarms to.
    90+% of the channel cats I catch are under 10lbs, so with this lighter-duty equipment the catch is more enjoyable. 15 or 20lb Big Game line.

16. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    You can be fishing top of the line gear for under $95 dollars and you can do it at Wal-Mart.

Abu Garcia 6500C3...$60.00
    Ugly Stik Cat Rod...$29.00

TOTAL...$89.00

17. mudman

mudman New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I like a Qauntum big cat rod and a Qantum cabo pt with 60 pound stren superbraid.

18. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    I use a 6.5 ft American Rodsmith medium action baitcasting, a 7 ft medium heavy action All Star baitcaster, and a 7 ft medium heavy action Bass Pro Extreme baitcaster. The first two cost me $50, the last $25, though its a $100 rod, got it never been used from a bass fisherman who won it at a tourney. Also have a 6.5 ugly stick spinning rod, but I've had bad luck with the guides on the Ugly Stick, they just don't seem to be as good as on other rods. All will cast a country mile with the right line/weight set up. Have a bunch of other rods, but these are my primary catfish weapons. Basically, any decent rod of 6.5 to 7 ft, maybe longer in some instances, will do the job.