Looking for new rods

Discussion in 'Gateway Catfishing Club' started by buckdoe270, Jun 24, 2009.

1. buckdoe270

buckdoe270 New Member

State:
    Overland, Mo
    wanting to update my rods
    any suggest's (river rods) ?

2. Mr Okie

Mr Okie New Member

State:
    Okla/Texas
    Catfish Safari or Surge..............

3. recordbreakin1

recordbreakin1 New Member

State:
    texas
    Silstar Pinnacles are good rods at a good price.

4. Sound

Sound New Member

State:
    Arkadelphi
    catfish safari

5. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    Surge Elites all the way :cool2:

6. shanelures

shanelures New Member

State:
    ohio
    zepco hawg seeker, priced cheep and good quality!! don't have to be expinsive to catch quality fish!! shane

7. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Catfish Safari Flathead Series, or River Rod Series and

Surge Elites

Looking at 80 bucks give or take a couple on anyone of them, but you wont have to replace them again. :wink:

8. Michael Jake

Michael Jake New Member

State:
    Troy, Missouri
    My top of the list would be Team catfish rods, they're made in America (Oklahoma) and are awesome Rods... then I would go with Surge Elites
    then Catfish Safari Flathead Series... they will all run close in price so shop around and feel the difference holding them... I love my surge rods but Team catfish rods are much lighter in weight and have the same action, plus again are made in U.S.A. :wink:

9. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    My only complaint against the Catfish Safari Rods are the reel seat. They are plastic and I have seen several Safari Rods have problems with the rings stripping out and not tightning any longer. If Steve could come up with a metal reel seat like the Surge Elite, he would have a winning rod, hands down and I would switch over!

Until then, I am sticking with the Surges....tough a$$ rod with a metal reel seat. :cool2:

10. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    I beg to differ.............I have seen first hand the Hawg Seeker in action on the Mississippi and it had a hell of a time reeling in a 10 pound blue...........no thanks.........I don't believe it would stand up to the whoopin' a 30+ pound fish will give.

That is STRICTLY my own opinion due to first hand experience...

11. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    Many after market fishing rods are built at the same location and are relabeled to a re-sellers specs. A popular manufacturer of these applications of fishing rods is http://www.rfsportsinc.com

Other popular options is American Spirit out of California. We were selling cork handled rods for $17 through the Catfish Syndicate Group.

12. screamnclickersc

screamnclickersc New Member

State:
    S.C.
    Ugly Sticks or Eagle Claw Starfires:wink:

13. buckdoe270

buckdoe270 New Member

State:
    Overland, Mo
    Catfish Safari or Surge and possible penn
    that was my choices
    thanks you for your replys

14. buckdoe270

buckdoe270 New Member

State:
    Overland, Mo
    Surge Elites or Catfish Safari
    can these be found local or
    need to be order ?

15. slider

slider New Member

State:
    louisiana, mo
    team catfish, surge, pete mania muskie rod,phil king rod,
    st croix catfish rod (they dont make them anymore)
    bill dance rod,

a buddy just got 2 american spirit rods
    and they are nice also and ya cant beat the price

later
    slider

16. Dave53

Dave53 New Member

State:
    Lonedell M
    I have 6 or 7 Ugly Sticks..I 4 of them are one piece rods and 2 or 3 are two piece.. just broke my second rod, both two piece rods. The first one that broke was a small sapling that floated by and took me out to the swift water and I tried to play it like a catfish and it broke. The second rod I broke a couple weeks ago when I got snagged on a root I pull back and it snaped. Both of these rods were the two piece heavy action white Ugly Sticks. I kind of have to stick to rods $40 and under to fit my budget. I went back to walmart to get a couple one piece sticks and after checking 5 different walmarts non were found? Are there rods out there in the same price range as the ugly sticks that you guys like just as well or better? I like the heavy action but I dont know if it is just the thicker rod makes me think it is better or what.

17. theonecatfishbob

theonecatfishbob New Member

State:
    Wright City, Missouri
    I use Power plus rods from Bass Pro. I use 7ft. boat rods. I paid 20 bucks apiece for them about 4 years ago and I havent had any problems with them at all. They went up to 30 bucks now but I wouldnt hesitate to pay it. IF I ever need to.

18. Dredge

Dredge Member

State:
    Arnold,Missouri
    If you want a decent inexpensive rod,try Berkley Big Game rods from Wa-Mart.I have 4 of them.They cost me 20 bucks each,and I've never had a problem.I can drag some big snags back to the boat with 'em.Someday,I'll find how they work on cat over 20 lbs.

19. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Can you tell I really like Ugly Stik Tiger Rods?
    [​IMG]

20. olejer

olejer New Member

State:
    Herculaneum Mo.
    My birthday is coming up, Unka Kutter, sure would like 1 of them there feshin rod contraptions you got