Looking for new rig

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by kingdawes, Jul 30, 2007.

1. kingdawes

kingdawes New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I am fairly new to cat fishing experience wise. I am looking to get a new rod and reel. I will be looking probably for an 8 1/2 to 9 foot rod. Any thoughts? I really have no clue about reel. I know that I want a bait caster.I am looking to spend maybe a little over hundred dollars for the rig. Any help would be greatly appreciated

2. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Chris, Welcome to the BOC from Henderson Ky!!!

I use 7' MH rods with ABU 7000i's and 7000C3 reels. These are the top of the line reels for catfishing for me. The 7000i and the rod will cost you around 140.00 plus tax.

3. kingdawes

kingdawes New Member

State:
    kentucky
    thank you for your advise I will seriously look into that equipment. I can get them at any bass pro shop or sporting good store? this site is really great I have already taken alot of the ideas in the library and created them. I nice to have a vast amount knowledge right there when ever you need it. Thanks again for your input

4. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    for a little over $100 you can get 2 okuma classics baitcasters and 2 9' cabalas king kats. i drug a 35-40#er out of some brush on good current with this setup today, been using it for a few years now. for one rig for that price id say a pflueger contender and a tiger rod.

5. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    You can get a new condition (display model) abu garcia 6000 off of ebay for around 40.00, then spend the rest on a good rod. That will get ya going for all but the biggest cats that we all just dream about and never see, lol. If you're not familiar with the baitcasters too much, the 6000 is the easiest to learn how to cast and won't wear you out learning.

As far as a rod, I am partial to the 10 to 12 foot meathunters but alot of guys on here seem to like the 7 1/2 foot to 9 foot tiger rods or catmax rods. If transportation is not an issue, I prefer the 1 piece rods as I've seen alot of the two piece rods break at the joint. If money's not really a factor, I much prefer the lamiglass or fenwick rods.

Good luck and enjoy whatever you get. The point is having something to get into the water in the first place!

6. baitboy

baitboy New Member

State:
    Kansas
    One option if you are doing any night fishing is the Abu 7000C3 / Glowstick option @ catalog.catfishconnection.com for $109 and I think it was $125 to my door after the $5 pole fee. I got the 10' bad boy but they have shorter ones also!

7. kingdawes

kingdawes New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Thanks all you guys. It looks like I won't ever have any trouble finding equipment with the boc on my side.