Looking for new graph

Discussion in 'Fish Finder Review and Study' started by Mo.Hick, Aug 5, 2008.

1. Mo.Hick

Mo.Hick Active Member

State:
    Madison Mo.
    I would like to have a graph with GPS on it with maps of Mo lakes and the Mo river. I cant afford $1000 for the Hummingbird 795. Would like to have side view but I know that is out of the question. What would be a decent graph with the GPS. I have a cheep Hummingbird now that I cant stand. Maybe in the price range of 500 or less. Just trying to do research now.

Tom

2. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.

3. cat tamer

cat tamer New Member

State:
    MO
  4. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    Figure out what your absolute maximum budget is, then buy the GPS/Sonar combo that gives you the most power and highest resolution (in that order)for the money you can spend.

As far as I'm concerned, power should be the primary feature you look for - more power means better target separation and resolution - in other words, it'll show you what's down there more clearly. Screen resolution comes a close second, as a high screen resolution but low power doesn't do anything useful to help you see what's down there.

More than likely, what you'll find that fits the bill is a Lowrance color unit with about 2400 watts of output power. Eagle is just a cheaper version of Lowrance, usually with less output power but otherwise the same and might give you more features for the money but won't give you the same power.

Most GPS/Sonar combos support the Navionics HotMaps Premium map cards, which will run about $150, so plan for that expense. Don't buy any other brand (there's one called "Fishing HotSpots" which is a waste of money).

5. Mo.Hick

Mo.Hick Active Member

State:
    Madison Mo.
    When is the next tourny. Maybe I can take a look at it then if I am not in Atlanta. I really dont know the difference between the plotter and map.

Tom

6. cat tamer

cat tamer New Member

State:
    MO
    A plotter is a white screen with grid lines that shows your path. there is no reference points to look at. The next tournament is the 16th of this month.

7. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    I'd go with Martys idea. I have the 332c. It's about 3 yrs old and newer models are out. Use the graph a lot crappie fishing. Also has the Navionics Hot maps Card in it

8. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    There are a lot of good ones out there. I'm a 'bird guy because I like the "modular" system they have. As long as it has the cababilities to accept the accessories you can buy the GPS antenna separate, as well as their weather module, and some other attachments. You can build it as the cash comes in.

The Lowrances I've seen are nice units as well. Another option is Garmin. They've started making graphs now. I'm assuming that the GPS on those units would be top-notch, but I don't know much about their sonar technology.

9. Mo.Hick

Mo.Hick Active Member

State:
    Madison Mo.
    Marty I hope you read this post again. I have looked at a Lowrance dont remember the model right now but it is in the 600 to 650 range. What my question is what model do you recomend in this range with gps on it. Thanks in advance.

Tom

10. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    The Lowrance LMS-520C is probably what you were looking at. It'd make a good step up from the more basic sonar units. 2400 watts is enough power to be useful.

It's $649 at Cabelas right now, and there's a $50 factory rebate offer good through the end of August. The LMS-520C might be cheaper elsewhere but I wouldn't spend too much time looking - Cabelas has always been pretty competitive on price, plus they're doing a free shipping thing now.

The Navionics Hotmaps Premium cards are on sale for $99 at Cabelas also - they usually drop the price just before the new year's cards are released. 2007 version is just fine for the lakes and rivers around here, so I'd definitely pick one of those up.

11. Angler2007

Angler2007 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I used the LCX-520 when I was in the great lakes walleye fishing. I think for the money it will do just fine. I'm not for sure who is closer to you, but Rogers Lures in Liberty has them also.

12. Thedue

Thedue New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    They generally run about $650. Great unit's and you can download a few maps online for free, or buy a map card. Don't get the 522 if you are planning to tilt very far, it has to stay vertical because the antenna is built into the top.

2400 watts, 480 x 480 pixels and a 5" screen. They really have great color, and nice seperation for picking out fish.

If still looking I'd be happy to send some pic's I took with it of shad, cats, whitebass, dropoffs, etc.

Due

13. Mo.Hick

Mo.Hick Active Member

State:
    Madison Mo.
    Still havent decided yet. A lot of options out there. What are anyones thoughts of the Eagle 480 with GPS? Look at them at cabelas and done some research. A little less power than the Lawrance 522C. Eagle 1500

14. Mo.Hick

Mo.Hick Active Member

State:
    Madison Mo.
    Forget the last post. I got tied up on doing an edit on it. Then when i tried to save changes. I get this message that I only have 7 minutes to make a change. I am not going to type everything out again. Just hit me wrong.

15. Mo.Hick

Mo.Hick Active Member

State:
    Madison Mo.
    I ended up buying the Eagle 480 with GPS. Not quite as much power as the lowrance and not color. But it was 300 dollars cheaper than the lowrance 520C. Seams to work ok. I just have to learn what all it does. The GPS was great on the river after dark. This unit is a great improvement over what I had before. Just want to thank everyone for the replys to this post. All information was greatly appreciated.

Tom

16. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    Glad you got a new unit. That GPS will really be handy.

Just be sure that you never trust the maps for navigation, especially on the river. I'll blindly follow a trail I've made, but I put zero faith in the location of the river bank, dykes, bridges, etc. as depicted by the maps.

17. Mo.Hick

Mo.Hick Active Member

State:
    Madison Mo.
    I know what you are talking about Marty. I had a couple of times that my line of travel went up on the bank and I was still in the water:smile2:. It was great because after dark I just followed my trail line back. Thanks for the info.

Tom