Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Want a trolling motor that will anchor my position and a good fish finder. Thinking along lines of hummingbird 9 or better or similar lowrance. Are they about the same? Or are there things that are better about one or another? Mississippi River fishing for cats, walleye, and panfish. From what I see here in Midwest a lot of hummingbird, but I don’t care I’d look at any brand. Ease of use would be helpful to know too

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
my minn kota powerdrive v2 was able to be converted to an i pilot that will anchor ya. as for fish finders i would look into a humminbird helix, they have them with down image and side image and all the other goodies.

·
Premium Member
385 Posts
Probably going to be hard for most of us to really give you a comparison as there are so many different models out there.

This is my setup and I am happy with it. Helix 9 with down imaging, side imaging, 2D, sonar, and GPS. HELIX 9 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N | Humminbird For catfishing I would definitely want the 2D sonar and the side imaging. The down imaging I really don't use that much. While not necessary it is very nice to be able to control the trolling motor from the fish finder.

Then I have a Minn Kota Terrova 80 24V system that has the ipilot link with it.

One thing you have to watch is that for example you have to have a certain size Helix for it to be compatible with Ipilot link. I think it starts at Helix 8 or 9. You also have to have a certain generation like mine is the G4. Just something to watch out for as you don't want to purchase something and then not be able to use all the features. Sometimes those really good deals on a new fish finder may be an older generation model that doesn't have something you want.

·
Premium Member
5,800 Posts
I have always used Minn Kota trolling motors and would not consider one without spot lock after having it. My old boat was equipped with Hummingbird Helix units, and I was very satisfied with them and still use one married to the transducer in my TM. Having said that I went with a Garman Striker for my primary unit, I found it to be much easier to navigate than my Hummingbird units but I don't think it is quite as clear. If you don't find navigating the HB units to be a challenge and can easily recall what you need to do to get to it where you want it to go, I suggest Hummingbird. Good Luck I know it is quite overwhelming with the choices available.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Very happy with my German 73 but I don't have it paired up to a trolling moter

·
Registered
Dave from ohio
1,766 Posts
Just remember if you want to pair the troller and finder, hummingbird pairs with minn kota, and Lawrence pairs with motor guide. I like my helix 9 pretty good.

·
Premium Member
Southeast mo Mississippi river
1,016 Posts
Happy with my Garmin echo map had an ix5 worked great for many years now have min Kota both worked and work if pairing not required Garmin grafts are easier to use the uhd units have good resolution

·
Registered
252 Posts
My setup is a garmin sv93 and a terrova 80lb. Love both of them. I fish the Mississippi quite a bit. The 80lb thrust will not spot lock my boat in the main current. It works great bumping down stream tho. Very happy with both my units.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts