Looking for loud exhaust

Discussion in '4X4 Truck Talk and Repairs' started by south_va_fisherman, Jun 24, 2008.

1. south_va_fisherman

south_va_fisherman New Member

State:
    Muddy Cross, Virginia
    Im leaning towards a magnaflow glasspack or a thrush turbo muffler. i like what ive read about the thrush, but glasspacks seemed to be looked down on. if you would pick between the two which one would you go with? im looking for that straight pipe sound but dont want to make the engine more sluggish. please dont recommend a flowmaster or anything. by the way this is going on a '91 f150. thanks guys

2. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    Glasspacks looked down on??? Thats what everybody seems to want around here! If you like that cracking glasspack sound, its the way to go. I had a thrush turbo muffler on my 85 chevy I had. It was not loud at all. Shorter glasspacks "crack" more and longer ones sound like straight pipes if you ask me. If you really want a loud exhaust, the guys when i was in high school (6 or 7 years ago) used 6" Purple Hornies glasspacks. I think there was something like black diamonds they liked too. Why not just cut the cat and muffler off and actually run straight pipes? The newer trucks sound good with just the cats and no muffler, but an older truck like yours has a more restrictive catalytic converter, making it not as loud. A 1991 should be old enough that it shouldn't hurt anything to pull the cat off. Just remember this is illegal, and if you get caught you can face big fines. Some places will sell you a "gutted" catalytic converter (kinda like black market), looks good if the cops look under it, but is just a hollowed out shell. If you decide to go the glasspack route, you can make it louder by driving it hard to get the mufflers good and hot, then dump ice cold water on it and beat it with a hammer. This supposedly breaks up all the glass packing material (so i've heard). Hope this helps.

3. Creteus

Creteus New Member

State:
    Loganville, GA
    i had a F-350 not long ago with a 460 under the hood running straight pipes. Sounded good at idle and kept a good sound all the way through. Problem with glass packs is you might as well be running straight pipes. They dampen a little, but alot of vehicals have that popping noise in the exhaust when running straight or glass packs. I'd say if you have a little money to spend run a good throaty legal exhaust system with electric cutouts at the headers. That way you can run with good sound legaly, but if you want to make alot of noise hit the switch and open the cutouts for strait fire off the engine.

4. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I love the sound od a true tuned dual glasspack system,I hada 74 f100,360 that would sound like a semi throwin on the jakes when ya let off of it in 2nd gear:cool2:Dont care for the echo chambers or fart cans the kids use these days,just dont sound mellow like back when I was younger.I'd go with a pair of 16 or 20" KC glasspacks and get it done by a place that specializes in dual exaust systems.

5. south_va_fisherman

State:
    Muddy Cross, Virginia
    thanks guys, seems like glasspacks are favored here. i found a 16'' for $27 at autozone, installation shouldnt be a problem. i have a buddy who drives a S10 blazer V6 with a glasspack, and i has a awful sound to it. we'll see how this sounds on a v8, and if i dont like it, it was only $27. i might have to try that cold water trick if i dont get the sound im looking for. thanks again guys

6. River_monster91

River_monster91 New Member

State:
    central kansas
    get you a cherry bomb vortex muffler, not a cherry bomb glasspack but the one that is oval shaped like a factory looking muffler. you can get em for 20 bucks here at autozone and they make a v8 ford sound BADA$$!

7. south_va_fisherman

State:
    Muddy Cross, Virginia
    thanks buddy, ill have to look into them

8. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages

Fart cans!!! LOL Ya mean Kazoos? The fart and the furious!

9. south_va_fisherman

State:
    Muddy Cross, Virginia
    like the ones you see on civic and other little cars. they sound awful and the loudness looses its appeal coming out of a civic:big_smile:

10. River_monster91

State:
    central kansas
    lemme know what you do end up getting, im looking into buying an older v8 4x4 f150 if i can find one

11. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD

Well there's his problem, its a V6! Seriously though, the glasspacks will sound a lot better on a V8. I had a flowmaster on my s10 pickup w/ 4.3L V6, sounded pretty good, but just didn't have that V8 sound. Not very loud either.

12. south_va_fisherman

State:
    Muddy Cross, Virginia
    well dont expect a speed machine, but stick in 4 low in 2nd gear and thats where they really shine. the low end torque is great. if you want to do any work on it yourself, these things are so simple and basic. overall a great truck and fun to drive

13. south_va_fisherman

State:
    Muddy Cross, Virginia
    well i got a glasspack installed 3 days ago, and i spent $61 for the pack and the installation....$61 wasted. theres and slightly louder sound when accelerating, not much, and no difference to the idle. im dissapointed. when i got the truck inspected last month and was told the cat. converter would need replacing soon. anybody have any experience with those magnaflow high flow cats or something similar? any audible difference?

14. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    anything loud looses its appeal to me. and 4 cylinders for sure. i like mine quiet. get pulled over less. i dont want cops looking under my stuff.

15. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    You put only one glasspack on it? two sounds much better and it would have only cost a little more than what one did. hence the term 'dual exaust'

16. south_va_fisherman

State:
    Muddy Cross, Virginia
    i dont have dual exhaust on mine, one day i might look into that

17. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    duels are the way to go for loud. oops. did i say that?:crazy:

18. River_monster91

State:
    central kansas
    just take off the cats and run ya true dual straitpipe off of the manifold.

19. blackriverfisher

blackriverfisher New Member

State:
    Missouri
    flowmaster is a good muffler
    i have had them on all my trucks
    super 40 series makes a small block sound like a big block
    but 40 series is the most poplar arount here
    if you dont want that poping noise
    go with a turn down right outa the muffler so you dont even have to pay for those chrome tips that rust in a year and a half anyway

just my 2 cents

20. River_monster91

State:
    central kansas
    strait pipes!!!