Looking for live mullet at Santee.

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by sclariat, Jul 7, 2007.

1. sclariat

sclariat New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Read on an old tread that one could use a cast net at Wilson's Landing in September to catch mullet.

Can you catch them now in July?

Is live mullet available at Atkin's or Black's now?
    I believe Tommy Hughes and RoundHill were talking about it many moons ago(years).

Hoping to be down there all next week.

2. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Robert, welcome to the BOC. I haven't been to Wilson's lately, but the mullet should be there. I was on the Santee River below hwy 52 on wed, and there were tons of mullet up there; just didn't have the cast net with me. We used mussels, nightcrawlers and bream to catch a few small fish, but no big ones. The water was very low and clear.
    I put the cast net back in the boat, so I will have it along next time. (I used it yesterday to catch a 5 gallon bucket full of menhaden in one cast, though)

3. sclariat

sclariat New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Tommy, I can't thank you enough for the quick response. We are going down to Hill's tommorrow about 8 or 9 am. I didn't think I would hear from anyone in time. We are going down for the week. We hadn't been since November and we sure have been looking forward to going. I just hope we can find some fish. We usually go to the lower upper lake but want to venture out to the lower lake some this time. Any ideas how they are doing now?
    Any areas pretty good in the lower lake about this time?

4. sclariat

sclariat New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Tommy, I read an older tread where you said that everyone was so good about educating you when you first started and that alot of them aren't around anymore. You said you are now one of the old man. I guess we will all be there some day but you know, what better legacy in life is there than to help other fellow fishermen and people in general. You, RoundHill, RiverratSC, and others.
    Other sites are so secretive about everything that they aren't very useful. This site is truely like a bunch of catfishermen sitting around a fire cookin just talking about catfishing (should be out there fishing rather that around the campfire---joke).
    Again thanks to everyone for your help!

5. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Robert, thanks for the kind words, my friend. I'll tell ya what; everyone on this site that I've dealt with has been just great about sharing information and techniques. I've been helped a lot by a bunch of these folks here, and I sure don't mind helping another if I can. I've got no secrets when it comes to sharing information or fishing spots.
    As for fishing in the lower lake: as Roundhill posted yesterday, try the channel drops in 20-35' of water, and fish the humps that rise up shallow, too. If you mark fish or bait, focus on those areas, but if one site doesn't produce, don't hesitate to move. The fish are scattered all over the lake, but orient to depth changes.
    Fish the same type areas in the upper lake. Shallows are good at night, as is the canal near Hill's, if there is current.
    Fresh herring is great (Ned's, just down the road from Hill's, has herring @ $7/dozen. You can spend a lot in gas hunting for bait sometimes.) Catch some white perch in the canal along the channel edges, using a small hook with a piece of worm, fished along the bottom.
    Good luck!