Looking for info on this VERY large shark hook

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by KYTRAPPER, May 2, 2007.

1. KYTRAPPER

KYTRAPPER New Member

State:
    Floyd county,KY
    This large shark hook came from a tackle shop in Florida about 15 years ago. Any idea who manufactured them, just curious?
    [​IMG]

2. allworknofish

allworknofish New Member

State:
    texas
    being the dull finish on it instead of a galvanized or stainless, id probably have to say it was fabricated by an individual. its not really hard to do with the right equipment

3. KYTRAPPER

KYTRAPPER New Member

State:
    Floyd county,KY
    It was brighter at one time. Its spent 15 years or so in an outside building. Ive seen several of them on ebay over the years but cant remember anything it said. Its not fabricated, it has slight machine tooling marks on it.

4. Guthooked

Guthooked New Member

State:
    Ga
    The hook you are looking for is a 19/0 Mustad 4483DT. It has a 5.75" gap, 14.5" long with .75 meters of chain and swivel. Scroll on down about middle way of this page on the link I am providing.
    http://www.blueoceantackle.com/hooks.htm

5. KYTRAPPER

KYTRAPPER New Member

State:
    Floyd county,KY
    Thanks Guthooked. Thats just what I was looking for.

6. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Errr, I'm thinking perhaps Shrek?
    That is a serious piece of terminal tackle. Are you going into the torture business?...W

7. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Actually, I've seen a hook like that used. While fishing off the pier at Deerfield Beach, Florida, a 15' hammerhead swam by. A local used a hook & chain about that size with several whole fish on it, tied the chain to a rope, tied the rope to one of the pilings holding up the end of the pier, and waited to see if the shark would come back by. It did. And picked up the bait. With the thought running through my head that either the rope or the piling was going to be destroyed, I picked up my stuff and moved 40'-50' down the pier toward the shore. For better or worse, the shark dropped the bait and left the area. Anticlimax, I know, but that's the way it happened.

8. KYTRAPPER

KYTRAPPER New Member

State:
    Floyd county,KY
    When you look at some of the sharks that have been caught this hook dosnt look that big really. Theres been a lot bigger than the current world record of2,600lb's caught...

9. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    Thats what I use for flatheads down here LOL, thats a big hook.