Looking for Info on Lower White River

Discussion in 'ARKANSAS RIVERS TALK' started by Arkie55, May 3, 2006.

1. Arkie55

Arkie55 New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    I hope some of you guys fish the lower White River below Newport. This is a river I live pretty close to and to date have not fished below Newport. I know three-rivers has fished that aree so I expect he will have some information. What I'm looking for is ramp locations, fishing trip information, patterns, suggestions, warnings, anything. I hope to expand my fishing opportunities this summer and the White is one river I want to fish.

2. three_rivers

three_rivers New Member

State:
    Tupelo Ar
    Terry jacksonport is always a good place to start. The black and white meet there and where theres baitfish theres gotta be catfish! We seen a very nice size flat top the water right by the boat last year there and i've been meaning to fish that.... If you go up the black right past the bridge theres some riprap that has produced some decent fish. Be careful going up the black its shallow in the area around the bridge. Just stay to the outside bend side and work your way across going under the bridge and you should be ok. The ramp is behind the mary woods (old riverboat) in the park. Just take the road into jacksonport and drive "straight" til you run over the levee.

Right down from the ramp be careful there too. You'll be getting near the jacsonport sandbar and its a hooj gravelbar way out in the river thats normally a foot or two deep. Cross the middle of the river coming up on it to the bluff side. That bluff bank across from the jacksonport sandbar has produced a few good fish. After running downriver past the bar theres trees and structure on the bank(jacksonport side). I was told a good forty came from there by a friend of mine. The river will come up on a sharp bend with alot of trees and trash. We call that trash city and its always produced fish if you can winch them out the snags. You can't miss all the trees along that bank. At the next sharp bend thats budwieser beach! That straight stretch all the way to the bridge is shallow!. The riprap has a few holes down the side and theres trees all through the river. You'll just have to ease down to the bridge slowly and find your way as its all gravel. The next ramp is down that way on the right. You can cross the newport bridge going to batesville and its on the right. Past the bridge is some good fishin along that bank. We will occasionally anchor at the point where water breaks off the sandbars going across river in the bend and do pretty good. Kind of like a current seam. The backside of those sandbars have produced fish too.

The next ramp from there that i know of is bradford and its way way out in the booneys. One of those spots where it takes many field roads to find. Its a have to show you sometime. Down around augusta the river gets alot deeper and the hazards aren't nearly as bad. Theres taylor bay ramp, and the ramp behind the augusta bank on second street (game and fish) There is alot of bends on downriver from there and they are sharp bends! Current picks up all through there. The best fishin we've had on the white is devalls bluff. Peppers eddy is down that way. Clarendon where the cache and white meet is great too. If you need to know anything else just give me a shout! Maybe we can work out a little fishin........

3. Arkie55

Arkie55 New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    Thanks for the information Danny. I am very interested in a trip on the lower White. I've read and heard some real good things about the fishing and fish below Augusta (way below) Devalls Bluff and Clarendon and the areas I've heard alot about. The river looks good around DesArk (sp). You fished that area any? What about Georgetown area? Have you fished the area where the little Red runs into the White?

We do need to get together for a trip somewhere. I will be passing by your place tomorrow afternoon sometime. I'll toot my horn as I go by. Headed down the St. Francis.

4. three_rivers

three_rivers New Member

State:
    Tupelo Ar
    Terry all of that area around the red river is down at hurricane. There is a ramp coming off the red river that you can put it but its another one of them 15 mile booney roads through hurricane refuge to get to. It is decent fishing. Right past the red river is structure everywhere. That bank always have a huge amount of trees all the way down through there. The river gets pretty snakey all the way to georgetown. Georgetown has a ramp and a big bank or riprap that we caught a few from. Most of that area is loaded up with trees which makes for pretty good fishin provided you don't get snagged up on something.

Now des arc is a whole nother story..... We fished it twice and had a couple hit a few times but they wouldn't commit. We got skunked both times.:roll_eyes: After that i seen no reason not to drive a few more miles and hit devalls bluff. We fished a bend around peppers eddy down there that produced a thirty three weeks in a row.

Hopefully the weather will be good enough i'll be wetting some hooks tomorrow. Good luck on your trip to the saity. Sho wish i could be there!!!!!

5. mtrimble

mtrimble New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    Heh. I must have over-looked this thread cause I just created a thread on the same topic. The lower white is about my favorite place in the country. I just got back from a week of fishing down there. The three of us got a good load of channels. No blues or flatties this time. We were in the refuge just south of St. Charles. The bayous were slow for the most part. A couple of oxbow lakes were productive. In the lakes we were catching channels right up against large cypress trees. By the looks of the males heads the channels are in early spawn. This is probably why we didnt catch any blues since they are probably in mid-spawn. There is a boat ramp in the town of St. Charles we went up river from there to Stinking Bay. There is a spot in Stinking Bay that narrows. This is were we had the best luck of the trip. We caught around 12 channel cats there all around 5-10 lbs. By talking to people and by our own experience the best fishing is in lakes and bays that are high enough to be exchanging a good amount of water with the white or whatever bayou they are connected with. If a lake or bay is too low to be exchanging a good amount of water the fishing will be slow. Indian bay looked good too, but we didn't get a chance to fish it. I hope this info. helps. Let me know how things go. This is one of my all time favorite places.

Skipjack ROCKS!