Looking for info on a neck surgeon. Can anyone help me out?

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by catfishjohn, Mar 2, 2007.

1. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Does anybody have an idea where online I could check out some Dr's to go to to do my neck surgery? There is no local Dr's I'd let do this.One wrong slip and I'm gone.The Dr that did my back surgery is out of the question.I'm willing to travel up to 3 hours from Ashland,Ky.
    I've been putting this off for too long,Its time they go in and try to repair all the damage.I'm gonna try and have the evaluation/tests done and hold off I hope until Nov. If I can.Fish as much as I can while I can.
    Thanks in advice for any info on this.I've been looking all night and have a few I'm gonna call in Florence,KY.Any info is greatly appreciated!!!

2. Who

Who New Member

State:
    Texas
    What are you needing done? I dont know any surgeons in your area but if you were down here I could tell you about 4 or 5. I might be able to find out some info for you though.
    Rick

3. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    I had a bad compression fracture of C6 May 31 2000.They decided to wait a few years to do the surgery.I get bad headaches several days of the week.C6 lost 40% of its mass,Degenerative disc disease,spinal stenosis,2 bulging discs and 1 slightly herniated disc.That is just my neck,not including my Thoracic and Lumbar...I have Titanium in my lower back.
    I'm not sure what they'll do,its all messed up.:confused2:

4. Catmaster

Catmaster New Member

State:
    SE Kansas
    Sorry I dont have anything but I wish ya the best on the operation

5. mperry

mperry Member

State:
    Indiana
    My wife has had to have several surgeries similar to yours. Their is some very good Doctors around Indianapolis that specialize in that type of surgery. Can't remember the names but I can find out for you if you want. I know Indy is probably a little to far. Also (And I'm not sure about this) you could look up the hospital on the web. Ortho Indy is what it is called.

6. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Start here

http://www.healthgrades.com/consume...=GeoSurgeons&gclid=CPHO5KOf14oCFRBoNAodzz1Bgg

Then Kentucky should have a board of surgeons where you can further research potential surgeons. NC's is kind of like a better business bureau. You can find out about any complaints filed against the surgeon.

I spent about 3 weeks doing this checking on my surgeon PLUS calling several physical therapists I had used. I simply asked them if you were going to have back surgery who would you want doing it?
    In my case they both said the same surgeon I was seeing.
    Physical therapists see patients from all different surgeons. They can pretty well figure out whos patients do better then others.
    The internet is a good place to research doctors.

When I went to my surgeon the initial visit, it took him less then a minute to say I had a 5% chance of recovery by any method other then surgery then went on into how many surgeries he has done , how many he does a day, his success rate, etc. Sounded like a used car salesman with a knife to me. This was on Thursday, He wanted me on the table Monday morning.
    I had never been in a hospital other then to visit someone or have an Xray.
    I said WHOA!
    Give me a few weeks buddy. He got a physical by the internet, and the phone.
    Come to find out, back surgery to him is like sleep to me. It comes natural.
    He often schedules 3 laminectomies a day at the hospital my sister works at.

7. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    John Sorry that I can`t help you on the Drs but I do wish the best for :smile2: you and am praying for you and your family

8. waterwalker

waterwalker New Member

State:
    Louisville Ohio
    I really can't help you that much, but orthopedic surgens will not touch a neck, you will need a neuro surgen. Good luck.

9. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Thank You all very much!!!
    Mark,Thanks for the link,I appreciate it.I just want to find some info thats free.
    I'm gonna do more research on my neck surgeon than I did my back surgeon.I'm not happy with the outcome of my back results.I just want the best odds for my neck even though they probably won't be very good.
    I wanna go ahead and find a Dr even though if at all possible,I'm gonna wait till Nov. or Dec. to have the surgery.I don't wanna miss much of fishing...:big_smile:

10. Jerry60k

Jerry60k New Member

State:
    Chelyan, West V
    Check out some of the surgeons at CAMC in Charleston WV.They have some topnotch surgeons.

I wish you the best of luck in finding a good surgeon and a speedy healing process.

11. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    John,

I sent you a name in the reps, but would also like to add there are very good ones around Atlanta. My cousin's grandson had a rare disorder of the back and they had to implant steel rods in his back thru puberty, then remove them years later. They worked miracles with him.

The most important thing is that you have faith in the Dr. and God guiding his hands, so pick the one you feel is best, after the research, visits and a lot of prayers.

May God guide your choice,
    Cheryl

P.S. The name I sent you is a neuro surgeon. Good luck. Prayers you way.

12. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    I have had that done twice in my neck. Go with the doaner bone! There are some very good surgens (nerro sp.) in Layette IN at the Arrnet Clinic. That might be a drive for you tho. They are starting to do fusions on out pat. basis.
    Bill

13. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Thank You all very much for the info!!!
    I never thought about going to Charleston WV.Thats only a little over an hour from here.
    I didn't know they were starting to do fusion as outpatient.When I had L4-L5 fused,I went in Fri. AM and got out Mon. PM.
    I'm gonna check out that Dr you told me about in Charleston Cheryl.See what all I can find out about him.
    Thank You All!!!!!