Looking for Inexpensive Multi-Purpose Spinning Reel

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by FLcatman, Nov 13, 2008.

1. FLcatman

FLcatman New Member

State:
    Florida
    So I was cleaning out the garage the other day and found a pretty nice Shakespeare 8-foot Big Water Spinning rod. It is in pretty good shape and seems to be a fair rod. The reel attached to it, however, is another story. The "Eagle Claw 5560" is still usable, but just barely. It is rusted and corroded pretty badly. Now I need to find a replacement. I am looking for an appropriately-sized spinning reel that will do well for both pier/surf fishing and also big cats when I take catfishing trips (keeping in mind I am solely a shore fisherman). I would ideally like to keep the budget under 50 bucks. I know that isn't a lot but I don't need anything tremendously elaborate. I have been looking at the Daiwa Emcast Sport and was also wondering about the Quantum Surge Surf. I have heard that Okuma makes quality reels as well that can be found for a decent price on Ebay. Thanks for the help!

2. caveman

caveman New Member

State:
    va
    if your budget would allow a tad bit more, i would go for a Daiwa Black Gold series sizes BG-30 or BG 60 for around $69-79.00.

these reels are solid and built to last...

vaughn

3. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    i picked up a okuma abf 50 baitrunner for under 50 bucks and really like it:wink:

4. motard1

motard1 New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    Quantum Optix 60. $20 at academy sports here.

5. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    I like the Okuma ABF 65's. Maybe a little higher than you want but they are well worth it.

6. jerry9497

jerry9497 New Member

State:
    Tobaccoville NC
    I have several abu's but I caught my avatar 67 lbs on a BPS Bill Dance River cat combo. that whole set up around that price range

7. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Okuma Avenger series. Good luck.

8. catinaldatime

catinaldatime New Member

State:
    Girard, IL
    yea u cant beat that bill dance river combo,thats what i have,and i have an abu,but yes,I like the bill dance.

9. catinaldatime

catinaldatime New Member

State:
    Girard, IL
    well u wanted a spinning reel,i would go with a berkley fusion,cheap but will haul in a trophy fish,good luck.

10. tightline_69

tightline_69 New Member

State:
    Hastings, Nebra
    FLcatman, are you interested in selling the 5560 reel? If so please let me know. Thank you

11. festus

festus New Member

You can't go wrong with an Okuma Avenger ABF. I would have to see the rod in person, but maybe an ABF 50 or ABF 65.

12. LOWCOUNTRY CATMAN

LOWCOUNTRY CATMAN New Member

State:
    sc
    I saw a Daiwa reel...a big one,I think its called a df 100 big spinner it is and cheap,but has gotten good reviews over the years.You can find em on Ebay.

13. m slayton

m slayton New Member

State:
    florida
    you can get a okuma avenger abs serries bait runner i have a 50 and a 65 my self and if i would have ordered them threw wal mar* on line it woulda been like 44 bucks for the model 65 or 35 bucks for the model 50.... free shiping to a wal mar* close to you and you go pick it up.. the 50 is about the rite size for a 6-7 foot rod and the 65 is way bigger then the 50 and holds a mile of line both of my okuma's are set up with 40 lb braid 150 yards ontop of 15lb mono backing and they cast perty far ... so if you got a long surf rod and want it to be a balanced combo i'd go with the 65 or the 95 <--- a lil bigger then the 65 and holds more line , the 95 might be a lil more then you 50 $ price range ...

i bought my okuma avengers at the bait shop....... i payed 60 bucks for the model 65 and 45 is for the model 50 i was mad when i looked at walmar*s prices and free shipin ********* also wile you @ wal mar* check out the ugly braid its a braied line made by ugly stick / shakespear and is 5 bucks i found some 40lb only 125 yards but 1/3rd of the price of power pro or spider wire .. these reels will hold 15-25 lb mono and have a 22lb max drag so if fitted with 40-80lb braid i belive it might be rite up your alley ...

but brother look befor you buy and don't buy ebay okuma's there cheap enough brand new and you get a warenty and a parts list there fully rebuild able and parts are available gl bud .

also with a 2 ounc sinker and a stiff long rod i can cast 100 yards and sometimes 150 or more yards not to bad considering i am using braided line i know this because i often cast far out enough to reach my backing . gl buddy i know all about fishing on a budget and i have been wanting a bait runner for years now i just can't pay 175-375$ for 1 big name bait runner , you also get a second spool witch if coated in black stuff that i use for my salt water fishing easy to change out too

14. STLbluesNmuds

STLbluesNmuds New Member

State:
    St. Louis, MO
    I had been looking for a spinning reel that could break 80# braided or at least handle the serious punishment that can be done with it. GET a Pelagic Hypafin 9000. It has all metal construction so it don't twist like a junk CAT MAXX and has 50lbs of drag. (I think it is made for tuna but should work on a 300lb catfish) I got one about a month ago for $55 all together on Ebay. They sell 1 every sunday night on Ebay in America. I am going to get a blue one from Aulstralia and match in with an Okuma blue diamond 12'er. They a getting more expensive now that the weather is getting better, still I would pay full price for another one.