Looking for homemade rod holder ideas!!

Discussion in 'Boat Modification Journal' started by daniel-delarosa, Feb 26, 2009.

1. daniel-delarosa

daniel-delarosa New Member

State:
    seminole, oklahoma
    I'm trying to figure out a cheap way to put some rod holders in my 14ft V-hull. Any ideas/photo's?

2. Martin Rhodes

Martin Rhodes New Member

State:
    Murfreesboro, Tn
    [​IMG]

These work the best I've found. :wink:

3. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
  4. BobbyLee

BobbyLee New Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohio
    These are made out of 4inch pvc. with 6 inch 3/8 in. carriage bolts. covered with black nylon tubing. Pvc is slotted so they will adjust up or down as well as side to side. Bases are ceiling flanges bought at Lowes. They can be mounted just about anywhere. If you use a round bar for the back you can use split ring pipe hangers for the mounts instead of ceiling flanges. I'm using the split rings on my bow rails. You can get a piece of flat steel, sqaure tubing or even a 2X4 to mount across the back of your boat. http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103349&page=3

5. kyelkhunter3006

kyelkhunter3006 New Member

State:
    Ky
    I don't think he meant that kind of rod! :tounge_out: :eek:oooh:

It sure looks like it would work well though!

6. Pip

Pip New Member

State:
    pa
    A guy I know got a piece of schedule 40 PVC pipe, the width of his boat and with a hole saw, drilled 2" holes every foot the whole way through the PVC. He bolted the Pipe to his gunnels so that the holes would have about a 40 degree angle when he stuck the rods in through the holes. He mounted this across the back of the boat. Total cost. free once he found the PVC pipe.

7. mankind

mankind New Member

State:
    ashland ky
    w. o. w.:smile2:

8. tunnel hull

tunnel hull New Member

State:
    SO.il.
    I heard that!!!:wink:

9. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    i'm gonna get rid of the one's i have and pick up a few of those :wink:

10. billyum2

billyum2 New Member

State:
    Topeka,ks
  11. kyleco55

kyleco55 Well-Known Member

State:
    Central In

i was thinkin that too.. were catfisherman.. pretty low budget... i couldnt afford one of those, let alone 6-10 :eek:oooh:

12. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
  13. Barry Nelson

Barry Nelson New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Whats one of those rod holders run or should I ask whats a divorce run :smile2:

14. smoothkip25

smoothkip25 New Member

State:
    ohio
    Check out Bobby Lees rod holders he made! There as nice and cheap as they come!

15. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    Wouldn't mind having a couple of those on my boat...... would be hard to get any fishing done, what with all the drooling and staring.

16. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Check out our library. You'll find quite a few different designs, in both metal and PVC.

17. outdoorX

outdoorX New Member

State:
    Ohio
    take 1/4 inche rod and bend some drift masters out of it. make sure your rod that goes from the 1/4 inch to the boat is 3/8 inch and about 3 inches long on the end weld a 3/8 inch blot. then take a nut and weld it to a small steel plate. 1 inch by 2. make sure that you leave a bolt in the nut when you make it. so the nut dosent change on the inside. drill to small holes on each side of the nut in the plate so you can screw the plate to the boat and mount it to the boat. add a wing nut to your rod holder and screw the holder into the mount then just tighten your wingnut down to position your holder where you want it.. you can bend your holders by hand. i made 3 in 30 minutes. best thing is if you aint got the right angle you can bend them some to get that perfect angle.