Looking for Flathead Catfish that are fatties...

Discussion in 'ARIZONA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by DeFZaO, Jun 1, 2009.

1. DeFZaO

DeFZaO New Member

State:
    Phoenix, az
    Hey all! new to the forum,

My brother and I are planning a catfish trip the 20th and 21st ( not def. but most likely ) Were hoping for some decent size flat heads around the salt river somewhere close by Phon d sutton possibly?, caught some 4-6lb channel there but I'm looking to beat my cruddy record of one 6 1/2 lb flat head and get one bigger. Were not too familiar with the waters so if anyone would like to show us or tell us of some good fishing holes and would like to talk fish and hang, it would be appreciated!:big_smile: so long as your not a weird murdering type of person haha. no. really. :eek:oooh:

Thanks!

2. DeFZaO

DeFZaO New Member

State:
    Phoenix, az
    I Realized I posted this thread in the wrong category, sorry about that, though if anyone knows any good lakes to fish for decent size cats I would love to hear about that as well. I frequent P.I.R. for bass but have seen some big catfish pulled out of that place.

3. Overkil

Overkil New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Hey Leo,

Welcome to the BOC...when you say PIR do you mean Phoenix Int'l Raceway? I would avoid Phon D Sutton...I was there yesterday just cruising around...way too many people...search some of the threads within the last few weeks referencing saguaro and the lower salt...lots of good info...the lower salt is good, just stay away from the crowded areas.

4. DeFZaO

DeFZaO New Member

State:
    Phoenix, az
    Thanks, yeah phoenix int'l raceway, fish there every so often, normally when it floods over the road going through, only problem is there are alot of people shooting wildly in every direction lately and I fish with my son so not too safe for him. I'll check out the other threads, thank you very much.:big_smile:

5. Mr. Foster

Mr. Foster New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Sorry dont know anything about your location, but welcome to the B.O.C.

6. Da Chummer

Da Chummer New Member

State:
    Arizona
  7. Rcaarizona

Rcaarizona New Member

State:
    AZ
    Anywhere on the Lower Salt River, IE below Sag lake is tough fishing for Flatheads, you really have to know where they hang out at, and they are also in very hard access areas of the river. Any recreation area I would stay away from. They just are not there in any numbers. Plus you will catch mostly piss soaked trash, as long as the tubers are running.
    Since you are planning a trip. I would go to the Upper Salt River with blue gills or water dogs, make sure you clip off the water dogs feet, or suspend them so they cant go under rocks, or burrow.
    As far as Lakes, stick to Roosie, Bartlett, and Horseshoe. or the Verde river between Horseshoe or Bartlett, or below Bartlett.
    Id invite you with me but I am a weird murdering type of person, but hell I catch monsters!! LoL J/K I have built up my catfishing crew here in the East Valley, and am content with who I fish with. Waterdawg, brianthelion,overkil, and my brother Vinny123. Excellent folks, with hopefully many many years of catching toads with them!

8. gdlocal10

gdlocal10 New Member

State:
    kansas
    welcome to the BOC

9. DeFZaO

DeFZaO New Member

State:
    Phoenix, az
    Never fished bartlett but my father-in-law has some great catfish memories there, I should check it out sometime, and thanks for the info and pics.

10. DeFZaO

DeFZaO New Member

State:
    Phoenix, az
    Hey thanks for the info, I caught my flathead at horseshoe about a year ago, haven't been back since. I'll try the spots suggested from everyone, thanks.

11. centexcop

centexcop Well-Known Member

State:
    Texas
    Welcome to the BOC from Texas! Good luck fishing.

12. Rcaarizona

Rcaarizona New Member

State:
    AZ
    There is a couple spots i posted a map with pin points of where to fish, but access sucks, and it is very difficult to get to the spots, but depends how bad you want Flatheads i suppose

13. DeFZaO

DeFZaO New Member

State:
    Phoenix, az
    If its hiking that's no problem, but if its 4 wheeling or boating that's gonna be a problem, no boat, or truck:embarassed:. Have a link to said map? May be able to get my in law to bring his truck.

14. Rcaarizona

Rcaarizona New Member

State:
    AZ
  15. DeFZaO

DeFZaO New Member

State:
    Phoenix, az
    Awesome man, thanks for the link. I would wade but my waders got a little sun rot spots. I may be able to figure something out though. Again, thanks.