looking for fishing partner (SATX area)

Discussion in 'LOCAL TEXAS TALK' started by Army_Chief, Jul 24, 2008.

1. Army_Chief

Army_Chief New Member

State:
    Texas
    I'm looking for a fishing partner(s) in the San Antonio area.

Taking the wife and kids is fine/fun, however their attention span isn't there or last long. (I spend most of my time baiting hooks and undoing snags)

Have to warn you, I'm a novice when it comes to catfishing, but I enjoy it never-the-less.

2. Marcos

Marcos New Member

State:
    Texas
    Hi Rich!
    I'd be glad to hook up with you and go catfishing sometime. I normally catfish Calaveras lake. I live by Bandera rd and Grissom rd. I normally can go on weekends cuase I work 8-5 m-f. I am no pro but enjoy fishing and try and go as often as possible. I'll PM you my number.

3. Army_Chief

Army_Chief New Member

State:
    Texas
    Marcos,

I got your number and will be in touch.

Calaveras isn't too far from me. I'm off of Binz-Engleman north of I-10.

I cannot PM yet as I haven't put up 10 posts yet. Once I hit the magic number, I'll send you a message.

Rich

4. el-de-saspamco

el-de-saspamco New Member

State:
    Saspamco,Texas
    Hey Rich and Marcos,
    Count me in too, I live close to both Calaveras and Bruanig lakes. My son and I try to go as often as possible, we just started going again after being dry docked lol after out t/m caught fire on a windy night at Cali. I have a boat we can scoot around in if we decide to hang around. It isn't the greatest but it floats, a friend just turned me on to a t/m too which makes things a lot more fun.

Rubes

5. Army_Chief

Army_Chief New Member

State:
    Texas
    Gentlemen,

It sounds good.

I'm unable to get away this weekend. Since I plan on going up to lake Travis (Central Texas Gathering) the weekend of the 8th, my wife has me doing a lot of chores this weekend.

as far as boats go, i don't have one but, I can rent them fairly dirt cheap from the Fort Sam Houston Outdoor Recreation.

Now that this is my 10th post, I can send PM's, which I'll do.

Rich

6. el-de-saspamco

State:
    Saspamco,Texas
    Rich,
    Both Cali and Braunig lakes also rent boats at $15.00 an hr w/a 2 hr minimum or like $99.00 the whole day or until 5 or 6 pm. Cali has a lot of closed areas that haven't been fished for over 5months or so unless you have a boat you can't fish them. I had bought some dip bait called sure shot and it was on folks, we caught 15 or so in like 30-45 minutes after we had chummed a few areas and the biggest one was around 4-4.5 #s. Kevin, my son hooked up with something big that tore up 30# ss terminial tackle. That was close to a reed bed.

Rubes

7. Army_Chief

Army_Chief New Member

State:
    Texas
    Thanks for the info on the boats.

The few times I've actually catfished out of boats, they were pontoons and we stayed out overnight.

I can rent a 19' Jon boat for $53 for the entire weekend. Unless I'm fishing with someone who has a boat, that is my option (cheapest).

My ideal preference would be a pontoon for an overnight (or weekend) trip.

Maybe I'll break out and hit calaveras this evening, though all the spots will be taken by then.

Will be in touch.

Rich

8. LONE STAR

LONE STAR New Member

State:
    Raleigh, NC
    Hey Army Chief,
    What's up with that gathering at lake traivs this up coming weekend? Where can I find out some info on that? Any info is good info thanks in advance.

"Discipline is the bridge between goals and accomplishments"

9. Army_Chief

Army_Chief New Member

State:
    Texas
    Lone Star I sent you a PM.

10. el-de-saspamco

State:
    Saspamco,Texas
    We welcomed the Army Chief to Calaveras this past weekend, my son and the BIL and I invited Rich to join us Saturday for some Saturday morning fishing. We didn't have the best of luck but we did catch some fish although the Army Chief caught the most and even caught 3 redfish (his first time, congrats )and 4 catfish, I caught 2 catfish and the boys got skunked.
    They were expecting 15 mph winds (which we never saw while we were there 6hr.s) so we were unable to rent a boat so we used my 14' er with a t/motor and scooted around a bit but we did better wading out in waist deep water.
    Was talking to some folks at the cleaning station who said fishing was slow everywhere at Calaveras and even at the wall things were slow.
    Thanks for joining us Chief.

Rubes

11. Marcos

Marcos New Member

State:
    Texas
    Good report Rubes! Sounds like you guys had a blast! we need to hook up sometime. Lately when I have gone to Cali I've been off the water by 1 cause of the heat.

12. renji2476

renji2476 New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    Sounds like you all had a great time!! Next time I come home (San Anto) I'll be sure to give you a call and see what we can catch!!

13. Army_Chief

Army_Chief New Member

State:
    Texas
    I'm a little late, but every bit as sincere: Thanks to Rubes for the invite and great time. Though we didn't catch a lot, it was a great time none-the-less and I'm looking forward to many more enjoyable days with Rubes out on the water.

Marcos,

You, me and Rubes ought to get together some day (or night) out at Cali.

Rich

14. Marcos

Marcos New Member

State:
    Texas
    Definitely, I'm all in! I will be going to Chalk Bluff with the family this weekend (7th-10th). So maybe the next weekend 16th or 17th (both) if ya'll are available. I need to get some more punch bait (??somewhere??). Calaveras & Brauning quit selling the Marv's Cheesebait since the remodel I used to get it there and it worked well at Cali. I've just about run out may have to try something else. Let me know if you guys want to go. I like early morning or late afternoon into evening cause it's way to hot during the day right now.