looking for fisherman that might fish lake granger Texas

Discussion in 'LOCAL TEXAS TALK' started by catfishermanstiles, Jan 26, 2006.

1. catfishermanstiles

catfishermanstiles New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    looking to find anyone fishing the granger lake or spillway or that has fished in the past wonder what there luck is like and how may hours for how many fish

2. Donaldmrwiskers

Donaldmrwiskers New Member

State:
    texas
    iv had pretty good results fishing the spillway with slip @stink when the water a little but gotta be just right

3. masterfisher3

masterfisher3 New Member

State:
    TX
    i went there yesterday but water is very low
    if you try to drop a minnow or shrimp where the water comes out theres some nice bluegills
    also if you have 2 hookes try this
    put on treble hook with dough (i use berkely powerbait) then 1-2 foot down put srimp or minnow
    then whatever weight you want.
    i caught some nice cats and white bass like that.

4. Wac M Trac M

Wac M Trac M New Member

State:
    Texas
    Howdy, I've fished/hunted granger for 9 years now. I know the lake really well. Unfortunatly I moved 4 years ago so I dont fish it regularly anymore. I used to be out there 2 or 3 times a week most weeks. I wasn't really into catfishing then. Heres what I know. If you leave the dock at friendship park and head out a little to the right you will see an island on your right and a cove to the right of the island. If you have a depth finder there is some awesome changes in depth there. We used to crappie fish those in the winter and caught alot of cats on accident. I always released them cause I thought they didn't eat well.ugh!

We also duck hunt the island alot and saw some guys pull some huge fish out in the open water.

Another good spot for big yellows is in the mouth of the San Gabriel on the lake side before you get in the timber. I saw at least a 60 pound yellow come up to the surface there. He was on a trot line. Some bozo put it right in the middle of the channel where everyone comes in and out. Also in the timber trail there is a hard left turn if your headed away from the lake. I watched people catching big cats there as a putted past in my john.

There lots more but heres just a few more:

The rocks along the dam. My brother took his daughter perch fishing with live worms there and ended up hooking a few cats and one huge fish he couldn't stop on a barbee reel. LOL

Way up the San gab. I used to hog hunt alot and used to see a guide back there all the time. He was always fishing in the hard bends in the river. While in the stand I would hear his clients hooting and hollering about cats.

Good luck and BE CAREFUL!!! Granger is a very dangerous lake. Between the high winds and the flooded timber you just need to go slow. If you need to know the timber trail let me know I have a great arial map of it.

-f

5. whiskerRay

whiskerRay New Member

State:
    tx
    Avg. about ten channels an hour if you move around. I have a 20' pontoon that I get around the river channel in, makes it easy to fish at night and sleep during the day. Be very careful and if you do not know the channel it is marked by little poles on your left and right, sometimes 200 yards apart, there are underwater stumps everywhere, thats why I like the pontoon. It will take you about five trips to get comfortable with the lake. Dont waste your time anywhere for cats but the river channel in 2 to 8 feet of water, anything below ten does not have enough oxygen in Granger.

If there is rain in the forecast be careful. Today was one of the worst experiences of my life. I could not see the rain moving in due to the tree cover in the river and when it started to drizzle I pulled everything up and tried to beat it back to the dock which is about fifteen minutes away. I got into the worst area of the lake with a pontoon boat, canopy up, and high winds. I dont scare easy, I was terrified for about ten minutes doing circles because I could not see and the rain felt like someone was shooting me with a bbgun. If it starts to rain...STAY IN THE CHANNELS. They are big on the wind warnings there for good reason.

It is a blast if you like catching alot of catfish. Last night I caught about 45, missed 20, and lost about 15 hooks to the stumps and underwater brush. Be prepared to lose some hooks if you want to get to where they are at. I bait my spots with horse and mule when I get there and I start at one spot that I know has alot of cats. When that spot slows i get back to the baited areas. ex; I stopped at one of my spots threw a line and it took about fifteen minutes to get a cat, i baited it with horse and mule, and went on. I came back three hours later and both poles had hits in the first two minutes. I stayed on that spot for about 6 hours before it finally slowed up. Take four rods, two as backup because when they start hitting you wont have time to rebait the other or put a hook on that you have lost.

Highly recommend it for catfish, yellows are there and when you see the river you will know why. Biggest yellow was over 100, forget the exact record. You will see them under the trees swaying the water, toss a shad and they will hit it but, getting them out of all that brush is tough. I had one on rod n reel get all the way past the brush and bust off on my stringer of fish i had hanging off the front of the boat lol.

Email me @ ray.hyfca@yahoo when you are going and maybe I can meet you there, I am about fifteen minutes away, and you can follow me in your boat to get the lay of the channel. If you go by yourself BE CAREFUL.

6. whiskerRay

whiskerRay New Member

State:
    tx
    Is that map of Granger in pdf.? Is there anyway you can email that to me? I would really appreciate it.

Thanks

Ray.hyfca@yahoo.com

7. dominoman

dominoman New Member

State:
    Dale, Texa
    I have fished Granger only once, and yes it is full of stumps, trees, etc. Just a second to the "pay attention to the wind warnings", that lake can got from real nice to Very Dangerous in a matter of minutes. I don't know of a lake I've ever been on that made such a quick change. Sure makes me pay real close attention to the weather.

8. whiskerRay

whiskerRay New Member

State:
    tx
    Any storm will not be seen until it is too late in that lake.

9. Wac M Trac M

Wac M Trac M New Member

State:
    Texas
    Hi Whisker Ray, I made the map out of arial photos taken when the lake was super low. I'll try to get it on here soon.

10. whiskerRay

whiskerRay New Member

State:
    tx
    Thanks a ton, that will be really helpful to see that. I talked to a guy this morning on the lake running lines. He told me where he drug a 120# and 98# flathead out of the lake last year. He told me where to find the flatheads at night.

You may already know about the flats and the small creek channel that runs through them...thats where the flatheads are at night. I will keep you informed on any new information from the lake in return for that picture. Too cool.

Last night was slowwww with the cats, I am going to look at the weather and see what was different. Right now I know there is a high pressure system over us and I feel like that is the reason. I went from 40 cats on Monday to 6 last night.

Thanks again