Looking for eating size catfish

Discussion in 'LOCAL INDIANA TALK' started by dburkhead, Jun 9, 2009.

1. dburkhead

dburkhead New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I know a lot of people here look for big cats and do CPR, but the bulk of my fishing (catfish and otherwise) is aimed at the table. Part of that is for my daughter's benefit--she doesn't "get" catch and release and figures if we catch a fish, we should eat it.

Most of the "tips" I see for catfishing are aimed at catching big cats for sport--not modest sized cats (up to about 5 lbs) for the table.

Anyone have any specific tips for that target? Places, techniques, baits, whatever.

Other constraints are that I don't have a boat and my daughter is afraid of canoes (rented one last year and tipped it--both of us in the water)--and renting rowboats, let alone anything with a motor--adds up really quickly.

Also, the daughter coming along probably puts a crimp on most nighttime fishing.

Can I work with this, or am I just limited to panfish with the occasional cat that picks up on the panfish bait and hook?

2. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    If you're around the southern Indiana area, Lake Gibson and Turtle Creek Rez are overpopulated will eating sized channel cats.

Use worms, livers, and shrimp and you can limit out!

3. tackleholic

tackleholic New Member

State:
    New Albany
    Bank fishing would help with her fear of boat & maybe some overnight fishing so she can sleep. I hope this helps some.

4. dburkhead

dburkhead New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I'm located in the Northwest corner of Indianapolis. One of my favorite weekday evening spots (generally between 7-9 or so) is Eagle Creek Reservoir where 56th Street crosses it. It's close enough so that I can go there just about any evening where the weather is reasonably good and get in a couple of hours of fishing. It's that spot where I've caught the two channel cats I've pulled in so far this year, both about 11 inches, and both on the small hooks baited with bits of worm that I'd thrown out there for bluegill.

5. Mako

Mako New Member

State:
    HOPE MILLS, NC
    I would use shrimp, crawfish or whole worms.

6. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    If your planning to eat fish and feed them to your little one, I'd stick with reservoirs-no rivers for sure. Check consumption advisories anyway though. Blacky told you right, but there are alot of good lakes loaded with easy to get to "eater sized cats"

7. atvracer

atvracer Member

State:
    IN-47501
    If you are looking for eater sized fish, I would use 2/0---->4/0 sized octopus circle hooks with crawfish for bait. If you can't find crawfish maybe try using a gob of nightcrawlers or goldfish from a bait store. Never had any luck whatsoever with liver or shrimp, although some friends do.

8. shortbus

shortbus New Member

State:
    indiana
    Try some red worms "red wigglers" whatever you want to call them. They give off a scent in the water way stronger than crawlers.

9. snakeman76

snakeman76 New Member

State:
    Tallahassee, Fl
    Im not from your area but yeah git some #2 circle hooks some worms and shrimp when I go bank fishing I like to go early in the morning right at first light.If im going to a new area I try to scout out the area find out from the locals where the good fishing spots are:wink:

10. RiverBuggy4x4

RiverBuggy4x4 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I AGREE WITH EAGLE CREEK I WOULD TEAR THEM UP WITH SOME SHRIMP YOU CAN ALSO GO TO LAKE MONROE

11. whiteriverbigcats

whiteriverbigcats New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Eagle creek Resv. w/shrimp. you will get all the eaters you want in just a few hours

12. 40oz

40oz New Member

State:
    Gun Barrel Tx
    Fish around a dam or under a creek bridge, that where I catch most my eater size channel cats. Also channel cats love worms & shrimp.

13. carp46755

carp46755 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    The Witmer chain of lakes has loads of eater size channels in it. If you are up in north east ind. Let me know and we can hook you up.

14. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Please don't eat anything out of the White River or the Broadripple Canal! I have visited both bodies of water and wouldn't even wash my hands in that stuff!

My brother lives in Fishers and we've fished Geist a few times and there are small cats there too!

15. ironape2

ironape2 New Member

State:
    indiana
    Me and my nephew would be interested in learning more about these lakes. We are shore bound and having bad luck with catching eater sized channels. We also live in NE Indy.

Maybe we just havent found a active spot yet but we have been out 8ish times in the last month to eagle creek and geist and have only caught 1 smallish cat. We have tried a variety of bait to include shrimp, night crawlers, red worms, cut shad, and hot dogs off of a carolina rig with a 2/0 circle/khale hook. Both night and day. I know the boy is getting frustrated and to be honest I am too.

Any help, advise or mentoring would be greatly appreaciated.

Thanks

16. dburkhead

dburkhead New Member

State:
    Indiana
    One of the things I did before I even started was get the latest Indiana Fish Consumption Advisory (2008) and I check any new body of water against it. Eagle Creek (the actual creek) is OK, Fall Creek is not too bad above Keystone, and Eagle Creek reservoir is OK. And per the list, there's nothing in the White River that's safe for kids (everything listed is group 3, 4, or 5).