Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Winston, Indiana
4,244 Posts
Yes I was using Nightcrawlers and red worms. I also chummed the area the night before and that buffalo showed up
Buffalo are a worthy fish, there’s nothing wrong with catching them...... if you’re fishing for them...... but ...... keep using buffalo bait, in a place where there’s buffalo, you’ll keep catching buffalo...... you want to catch catfish, use catfish bait.

...W

·
Registered
591 Posts
A lot of great catfish bait in those buffalo fillets!

The fillets are thick and they have a tough skin that will keep a chunk on a hook. I’ll cut a variety of sizes, sprinkle with plain salt or garlic salt, then freeze.

·
Registered
Ron from Northwest Texas
51 Posts
Here in northwest Texas no better bait can be had for blues in the winter time........I've seen days when you couldn't buy a bite on shad but catch blue after blue,big blues,all day long on cut buffalo or common carp.Come May we usually catch a big cooler full,scale and gut them at the lake.Once home we get the jars ready,chunk the carp up and place it in each jar then can some of the best fish on the planet to make croquets out of............I'll put it up against store bought canned salmon any day.Not to mention pound for pound few fish put up a better fight.

·
Registered
28 Posts
If you'd like to tie into some REALLY big blues, use buffalo like these as cutbait! I've caught plenty of blues 50lbs and under on shad, but all the 70 & 80 pounders have been on cut sucker like these.
good luck
Well,
I was fishing for catfish, mainly for channels but this big guy decided to pay a visit instead... put up a really good and strong fight! View attachment 324670

1 - 9 of 9 Posts