Looking for Cajun or Spicy Catfish Recipe

Discussion in 'The BOC Diner' started by kkyyoottee, Aug 20, 2007.

1. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I cant get enough of spicy recipes does anyone have a cajun or spicy recipe they would share? Thanks in advance!!:big_smile:

2. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    I know a great Cajun Fish Fry, we had it this weekend at the CJ Brown Gathering.

3. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Will, try this on for size -

Soak the fillets for 1 hr in your fridge in your favorite thin hot wing sauce.
    Mean while, mix 1 cup flour and 1 cup of cornmeal.
    In the above mix, add 1 tbls chilli powder, 1 tbls cayenne pepper, 1/4 cup crushed red pepper that has been pulsed in a food processor 2-3 times. 2 tsp onion powder, 2 tsp garlic powder, 1 tblspoon salt.

Roll your fillets in this mixture, then fry as normal.

After pulling out of the oil immediately season with salt, and a sprinkle of cayenne.

4. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

4 (4 oz.) catfish fillets
    1/3 cup butter, melted
    2 tablespoons lemon juice
    2 tablespoons dried thyme leaves (don't use the Dollar Store type, it's nothin' but sticks and way too strong)
    2 teaspoons salt
    2 teaspoons cracked black pepper
    2 teaspoons paprika
    1 teaspoon garlic powder
    1/2 teaspoon ground red pepper
    1/3 cup dry white wine

Heat large cast-iron skillet over high heat for ten minutes. Rinse fillets and pat dry. Mix melted butter and lemon juice in small bowl. Mix dry seasonings in a second bowl. Brush both sides of fillets with lemon butter and sprinkle each side with spice mixture. Place two fillets, rounded side down, in hot skillet. Cook over high heat two minutes. Turn fillets and cook two to three minutes, or until fish flakes easily when tested with a fork. Repeat procedure with remaining fillets while keeping cooked fillets warm (unless you've got a Lodge skillet as big as mine, then you can do 'em all at once :wink:). Remove skillet from heat and add wine and any remaining lemon butter. Stir well and spoon over catfish. Serve immediately.

Note: This cooking method produces smoke. Prepare in a well-ventilated area.

I like to serve this with some sort of rice and a green veggie or salad.

5. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Put your salted fillets on a sheet of aluminum foil, cover with your favorite salsa, then fold up the foil so it seals everything inside. Bake at 350 till fillets are done.

6. pappy3

pappy3 New Member

State:
    texas
    Here is mine. I cut all the pieces in frying size and baste with mustard and put them in the fridge for an hour or 2 if you have time!
    Take a package of saltines and break them up in a blender ,mix
    1 tablespoon of red pepper
    1 tablespoon of garlic POWDER [not garlic salt]
    1 tablespoon of chili pepper powder
    1 teaspoon of salt
    blend all this together until it becomes like a flour
    place in a bag and shake fillets in this bag to coat evenly
    I always cut my pieces a little thicker than thumb size so it will cook fast
    preheat grease to 400 and cook at 375 about 3-4 minutes for each batch
    good fishing and good eating:wink: pappy3

7. Ghoulscout 13

Ghoulscout 13 New Member

State:
    North carolina
    let me talk to my father in law he has a recipe he swears by and i have been wanting to get from him. ill edit my post when i get it.

8. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    I just use TSS Cajun fish seasoning. It's pretty hot stuff! I guess you could add some cayenne pepper to it if you wanted.