LOOKING FOR BULLHEAD CATFISH

Discussion in 'LOCAL PENNSYLVANIA TALK' started by FLATHEAD LBER, Apr 28, 2009.

1. FLATHEAD LBER

FLATHEAD LBER New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh PA
    wondering if anyone knew werei can get into some bullheads?

2. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    Has to be some farmer ponds you can get permission to fish, or rivers close by that have some healthy populations. When in doubt, called your local DNR and see if they have any hot spots they can share.

I have never seen any for sale come to think of it?

3. xnmcclurex

xnmcclurex New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh Pa
    i dont know where your located at in Pa but i know moraine is loaded with them

4. rhuffman

rhuffman New Member

State:
    pa
    Canonsburgh Lake has a lot of them

5. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

Try and get permission to fish some farm ponds.Theres more of them around than you might think.A lot of farmers are quite willing if you show them coutesy and respect for their property.I don,t have anything against using bullheads,but personally I haven,t found them to be no magic bait.I think,IMO only, You will be a lot better off using whatever is the easiest and most abundant. Catching baits a chore for me and the faster and easier I get it done-the better.Time i spend catching bait is less time I can spend fishing for what I want.A fresh lively gill,chub,sucker,whitebass, is gonna do the trick if I got it in front of them.If I got free time,I,d rather spend it scouting some new holes or learning more about the ones I already fish.If bullheads were the wonder bait some think they are,all the baitshops would be selling them for 10$ a pop.MY OPINION ONLY.:0a36:

6. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Don't know anything about western waters, but out here most private/kiddie/park ponds have them. The creeks have them too but not many.

The best place where I know there are bullheads 24/7 is a stagnant drainage canal.

Good luck in your quest, bullheads are my favorite bait to use in the dead middle of the summer.

7. jolie

jolie New Member

State:
    PA
    I see this advice a lot but in some parts of the state; ponds are a TOUGH venue to fish.

consider my part of the state. City parks are so full of geese that only carp can survive the incredible ammonia concentrations from their poop.

A lot of farmers have them. but wondering freely over a farm would not be safe advice. farm-lands in rural PA is Privat property and patroled by gun by trigger happy folks who are bent for the annilahation of deer damage. farmers can and DO heavily utilize exceptions to the game laws for animals causing agricultural loses.

Most of the public lands in these parts of forests and forests do not normally contain ponds. simple native typography in PA is too hilly for lots of ponds (unlike states like OH and NY).

Another prospect for untouched shallow bodies of waters is swamps. Its rare to find them big enough to have a gamefish population; but its not impossible. Access is one problem; the other is rarity.

Gamelands are a serious and relatively good suggestion for bullheading in the west.

But Then, you're also not rural. from Pittsburgh all these options are NO closer than morraine... and so in my mind the question has already been answered. for a reasonable 45 minute trip out of the city you can be on prime bullhead territory and Prolly catch more than you would want to keep. and this with no guessing, no wondering around people crops, etc.

8. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I would try and find a slow moving close as stagnant body of water. Even in a main body of water. Look for some type of debris in the water like an old tire or Fridge they love to hide in such places. I have not had much luck in finding them in small shallow creeks myself. Had some luck finding them in deeper creeks and ponds. However as Jolie stated some of these are on private property or access to them might be a pain.

9. rhuffman

rhuffman New Member

State:
    pa
    I'm tellin ya, Canonsburgh Lake. Go right above the dam as close to it as you can. Cast shallow, ten fifteen feet out. I use half night crawlers on a small hook with a bobber about fifteen inces deep. You'll catch more than you can use.

10. tat_n_trapper

tat_n_trapper New Member

State:
    pennsylvania
    there are 2 spall dams I can think of right off the top of my head that are loaded with bullheads. Reeds dam, it is an old coal company dam that is rihg near a long string of coke ovens, it is just outside Sykesville, PA 15865. the other is called Tannery dam or Juniata Lake in Dubois PA, 15801. I have caught alot of bullheads in both. The biggest one I ever caught was in Reeds Dam and it was about 20 inches.

11. jolie

jolie New Member

State:
    PA
  12. tat_n_trapper

tat_n_trapper New Member

State:
    pennsylvania
    Don't know that one jason. Reeds dam is about 1/4 mile off 119.

13. pathos

pathos New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Also, this time of year. High Point Lake near Confluence, PA. Was up there last saturday and brought home a stringer full. Stop near the lake and buy some large minnows, throw it out about 15'-25' or so from shore on a hook with no weight.

Catch bullheads and Northern Pike all day long.

14. moose22dog

moose22dog New Member

State:
    YINZERBURGH,PA
    shinner's or fatheads?

15. pathos

pathos New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Shiners, in fact if you come from north, about 2 miles from the pull off to get to the lake (off of Rt 40) is a gas station on the left had side. Mostly a bait shop, they have local shiners.