Looking for bullhead catfish in Wichita

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by smhmc6, May 11, 2009.

1. smhmc6

smhmc6 Member

State:
    Kansas
    I'd like to catch some bullhead for bait for a trip I have coming up. I haven't really tried real hard, but for the last two years I've been trying to find a good place to catch bullhead for bait (thats when I learned from this site that they are actually really good bait). I guess the reason I haven't tried real hard is cause I can catch bluegill pretty easy and they work pretty good for flathead, but I have tried. A couple years ago I stumbled on a pond that was absolutely a gold mine for bait sized bullhead. Since then they've built several houses around it and they've done something to clear the moss. I can't catch bullhead from there to save my life now... I'm thinking they did something to exterminate them and stock it with other fish. I would love to give them a try as bait sometime, it just seems like they're pretty hard to find around Wichita. Seems like a 2 or 3 years ago I would catch them all the time at kdot east too. I noticed that kdwp stopped stocking them in the ponds around town. I was wondering if anyone knows a good place to catch them around town. Now I know that a good bait hole is as good as a good honey hole, and its pretty hard to give up that secret... but I just wondered if maybe, just maybe someone was feeling generous tonight. Haha, well I guess if not specific tips and advice for what kind of ponds/streams would be helpful.

2. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    All of the good ones I know of are on private property.
    Im sure most of the city ponds have them, you just have to keep movin til you find em.

3. smhmc6

smhmc6 Member

State:
    Kansas
    Kyle I see you frequenting this thread:smile2:. I know you want to know too! Haha. Or are you holding back a secret? If you are I can make you a deal and share a place I found yesterday where I caught 10-15 8" bait sized carp!

4. arkrivercatman

State:
    KS
    Im pretty happy with the bait I use. Its plentiful and works for me.:wink:
    I do know of some private farm ponds loaded with them. Just too long of a drive to make it worth it.
    My greenies are close and keep me stocked.:smile2:

5. smhmc6

smhmc6 Member

State:
    Kansas
    Fair enough. Pretty much the same reason I haven't spent a TON of time looking for them I guess. Bluegills have worked well enough that I could either spend an hour catching enough gills for a weekend of fishing or I could spend who knows how much time trying to find bullhead and maybe come up empty. I did kind of want to get some for this trip I have coming up (May 20-25).... got alot of gills, some crappie, some baby carp, and I thought if I could get ahold of some bullhead too I'd have all the bases covered. Kevin is supposed to figure out a way to catch the chubs in the creek right behind his house so I guess we'll have that too, not to mention we're going to spend alot of time trying to net shad. Oh well... maybe someday I'll stumble on another goldmine bullhead pond and actually realize it for what its worth.

6. arkrivercatman

State:
    KS
    If I come across one closer I might call ya.:wink::smile2:

7. smhmc6

smhmc6 Member

State:
    Kansas
    Haha, Okay. Well, you know my lips are sealed. :smile2:

8. Bigfish18

Bigfish18 Member

State:
    Wichita, Kansas
    Steve, I have had trouble the last couple of years finding a healthy population of bullheads. I have found quite a few in the cowskin creek though. If you live on the west side of Wichita you might check it out. Good luck on your trip, let us know how it goes.

9. smhmc6

smhmc6 Member

State:
    Kansas
    Thanks Cody. I actually live in Andover, so I'm on the other side of town. I've fished at a place on the cowskin creek a couple years ago. I wasn't really fishing for bullhead, just channels with no luck. You might know where I'm talking about. I think it is where it crosses Maple maybe? Theres a bridge and a turn off of it just on the east side of the creek, but there's so many trees and shrubs you almost don't even know you crossed a creek. Theres a little turn around there and it was obvious that people have fished there before, but not sure if it was public or not. Maybe I'll try and find that place again and give it a try. Thanks.

10. arkrivercatman

State:
    KS
    That place doesnt exist anymore.
    Well, the creek is still there but they took all of the trees out. I think to help control flooding.
    Looks like a constuction site now.:sad2:
    No tresspassing I think.

11. smhmc6

smhmc6 Member

State:
    Kansas
    Ah, I see. Well the cowskin does seem like a place bullhead would be I guess. Slow moving muddy water. Is there any public access to the cowskin creek?

12. arkrivercatman

State:
    KS
    It runs through Pawnee Prairie Park, Im not sure if you can fish there though.
    There are places in the park where no one would see you though.:wink:
    Lots of brush with some pretty deep water in there.
    Probably still fairly high from the rains.

13. Storm27m

Storm27m New Member

State:
    Wichita, Kansas
    There's a creek over here by my house that I've been meaning to try for bullhead, but have never got around to it because I can get all the bluegill I want pretty easily. Since the creek is close to you, you might be willing to give it a try. It's only about 2 miles from Andover. I'll send you the details in a PM. No sense in posting it to the world if it turns out to be a goldmine. just one condition....you have to tell me if you catch any bullhead there :wink:.

14. Bigfish18

Bigfish18 Member

State:
    Wichita, Kansas
    Theres a ton of 10 lb+ channels and 20 lb+ flattys in the cowskin. A lot of dams from 119th to maple.

15. Mr. Foster

Mr. Foster New Member

State:
    Kansas
    If you can get access to four mile creek, you can catch em in there. Thats near Andover.

16. tmramrod91

tmramrod91 New Member

State:
    kansas
    How about any bullhead locals in the northland of KC? I know some of the KC people are feeling generous :big_smile:

17. kcgeoff

kcgeoff New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Kevin,
    I would try some of the smaller creeks like Indian Creek. I'm not giving up my bullhead bait hole but I do know people catch them out of Indian Creek and some of the other creeks.

18. arkrivercatman

State:
    KS
    If you guys are gonna start askin for people's honey holes your gonna have to start participating more.:smile2::smile2:

19. kcgeoff

kcgeoff New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I still have 25 or so bullheads swimming in my stock tank. Their eagerly waiting on a 10/0 kahle hook through the backside. :smile2:

20. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    If you put in at the free ramp at Smithville and get up in the backwaters on the Platte you can catch all you want. Last time I was up there that's ALL I could catch:smile2: That's been a couple of years ago, but I doubt it's changed much.

I have a local lake by the house where they can be caught, but I'm usually after blues so I don't spend a lot of time catching live bait.