Looking for Boat

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by glenc, Feb 1, 2006.

1. glenc

glenc New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Hey guys I am looking to purchase a boat for catfishing/crappie fishing. I have $1000 to spend. What can I expect to get for that amount or should I hold off and try and add to it. I am a big guy so I dont think a jon boat would do for me.

Thanks in advance

Glen

2. glenc

glenc New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Oh man don't get me lyin. I bearly found Ok when we moved here from California.....lol

3. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    $1000 will mostly buy you someone else's headaches...

You'll be looking at something very old and very basic. Early-70's Lowe or Alumacraft simple old v-bottom fishing boat, with maybe a 25hp Johnson or Merc. If you find anything newer, it's almost certainly going to be full of problems or it wouldn't be that cheap.

Start keeping an eye on the classifieds in local newspapers - it's that time of year and folks will be looking to sell their old junk and upgrade to something newer. You might find a bargain.

4. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Glen,

Where in Oklahoma are ya?

I am in Tulsa and the Boat show is this weekend.

Might be a good chance to catch someone before they trade their boat in, and buy it from them.

5. glenc

glenc New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    TDawg,

I am in Eufaula. Tulsa wouldn't be a bad drive but unfortunately the wifes Grandmother is coming to town (from Calif) this weekend so anyting out of town for me is out of the question. Took me forever to get her to turn lose of $1000.....lol......Had to promiss her a trip out to Calif next year :sad:

6. TDawgNOk

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Have you checked with any of the marina's or bait shops in the area around eufalla (town) or Checotah? Also, check with places that will "store" the boats through the winter.

7. glenc

glenc New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Haven't yet but will. Just got the ok from the wife to do this last night so I just started my search. I would really like to get a pontoon. Wouldn't be oposed to the payment but my credit isn't what you would call perfect. Was off work for 2 yrs with an injury :-(

8. glenc

glenc New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    LOL....I hear that. The wife has agreed to financing a small amount if we can do it. Now I just gotta find a place that will do it and find the boat. I have 2 kids (10 and 8) that want to go so bad they can't see straight so a pontoon or bigger type boat is what im going to need. Plus if the wife and baby ever want to go lol

Thanks everyone for the advice. I will keep you updated as to what happens

Glen

9. Okccatman

Okccatman New Member

State:
    Norman,Ok
    I would recomend calling Chuck & Dave's Auto Body & Painting. They are located in OKC and they buy/sell and do consignments for used boats. As well as just driving around. There is a boat a block or two from my house. When I go back to work this afternoon I will see if there is any info posted on it. If it looks OK I will PM you the send the details and a contact number.

David Frantz

10. glenc

glenc New Member

State:
    Oklahoma

David,

Thanks and appreciate it

11. Okccatman

Okccatman New Member

State:
    Norman,Ok
    I looked at the boat and it was not worth the asking price. I'll keep an eye out and let you know if I see any good deals around here.

David Frantz

12. kspor

kspor New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    Our local Fish and Game holds auctions and bids. Sometimes they sell their old boats. I attend many auctions and have seen serveral boats go real cheap.

13. glenc

glenc New Member

State:
    Oklahoma

I dont think size is going to be a big issue. I have a 93 3/4 ton chev reg cab with a 6.5 TD. I looked at a boat today and might try to take it out on the lake Sunday. It is a 19ft fiberglass very deep V bottom with a mercruiser straight six inboard/outboard. He is asking $1800 for it. Its a 1974 modle. Floor is solid and the overall boat looks in good shape. Hasn't been in the water in over a year though. What do you think. Its more of a fish/ski boat which is fine cause I want to be able to have fun as well as fish.

14. fwmud

fwmud New Member

State:
    Wilson's Mills,nc
    Just a thought,
    Inboard/outboards always give me the willeys when I hear they've been stored a while.
    They have a lot of gaskets that can dry-rot and leak.
    Me,? I 'd want to put it in the water and leave it for a few hours tied up just to see if it took water at all.
    Then I'd give it a shake down cruise.
    Justt my thoughts bro

15. glenc

glenc New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    For sure will take any boat out for a "shake down cruise". Gonna try to get this one out on the water Sunday. IF we can find a spot to launch it here on Eufaula. Not much water here ya know. Just looking for info on what to look for. The owner told me he put it in the shop last year and had the motor that runs the till (tilt) replaced. I took a good look under the boat and it looked solid. Again the overall appearance is really good considering the age of the boat. The seats look to be in very good condition. Its not beat up at all. This owner claims to be the second owner.

Thanks again

Glen

16. T-Bone

T-Bone New Member

State:
    South of Dallas
    Glen, just an idea, get on e-bay and see what's for sale and how much. Ya may find a lil newer boat for the same money. There is some good advice above. Main thing is to keep your head on stright and not get slap happy at the first thing ya find. Some times a second owner boat just means it's about to be a fourth owner boat (know what I mean).
    Good luck Bro and go slow, not much water so really there is no hurry.

17. badbob46

badbob46 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Heresmy2 cents worth on a catfishing boat, i am a big guy too and i have had several boats, a 16 foot jon boat, an 18 ft 6 inch jonboat a 20 foot pontoon boat and now a 22 foot center console bay boat, by far and away the bay boat is the best all around boat for regular fishermen like ourselves, it offers the large fishing platform of a pontoon boat and the performance of a bass boat along with the ability to fish very shallow water like a jon boat. i have been out on toledo bend in the middle of winter in 30 mph winds when no other boat could venture out, its a real plus when you can get out in nearly any type of weather..you can usually find a used one for around 3500 with just a little searching..

18. glenc

glenc New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Well didn't get to take the boat out this past Sunday. The guy was supposed to fix a flat on the trailer and never got around to it. But I did find another interesting possibility on my way to class Saturday. I can't remember the make of the boat but it is a 15ft tri-haul with a 55hp evenrude. The boat itself is a 1976 but the engine is a 1969. That concerns me a bit. Haven't heard it run yet because I didn't really have all that much time before class. He is asking $900 for it. If it runs good and seems solid elsewhere what would be a fair offer or is $900 fair enough?

19. TDawgNOk

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Glen, last year I paid $500 for a 14ft Glassmaster Trihul with a 70hp on it. boat is from 1977 amd motor is a 1970.

20. glenc

glenc New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Nice so offering him $600-$700 wouldn't be out of line then?