Looking for bluegill recipe for small ones

Discussion in 'The BOC Diner' started by kastmaster, Aug 18, 2007.

1. kastmaster

kastmaster New Member

State:
    California
    the bluegills i catch out here in california are not that big not even hand size but wondering good recipe.

2. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Depends are you going to filet them? Then I use a beer batter home made recipie. Gut, head, and leave whole? Then I dip them in egg , then into a homemdade dry mix.:tounge_out:

3. Pirate Jerry

Pirate Jerry New Member

State:
    Yulee Florida
    Flour and corn meal half and half , salt and lots of pepper. soak the fillets in milk for a couple of hours. dip em in egg then the flour mixture, fry till golden brown........ thats it !!! I mix the left over flour mixture, a little onion (chopped or powdered) and egg then add enough milk to drop batter ... Instant hush puppys... waste not want not...

4. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    cut the head and tail off. gut them. dip them in egg and breading of your choice, skillet fried.....one white onion, quartered, cornbread, and fried taters.....fried okra, in season, and you can't go wrong:big_smile:

5. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Do you cut the dorsal fin off or leave it on Phil?

6. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Cut the head off, gut then bread with 50/50 mixof corn meal and flour and the spice of your choice, and those fins are the best part ,fish chips mmmm.

7. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    Put a hook through em and throw em back out for a bigger fish :wink::cool2:

8. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    i dont really keep a bunch of gills unless they are the big bull males. but i like to fillet them right out of the skin. it aint as hard as it sounds and you end up with a lot easier eating (large bite size pieces). im pretty sure everyone will say that fried is the way to go. but another camp site or grill recipe i like is to gut em, cut off the head, slice up a few veggies (i like zuchini (sp?) and squash with sweet tater wedges. throw in a couple lemon chunks salt, pepper to taste, maybe something spicy wrap in alum. foil throw in coals or on grill. oh yeah! dont forget a nice chunk of butter. you will know when they are ready, and umm ummm that there is goood eats man!

9. kastmaster

kastmaster New Member

State:
    California
    :smile2:Lol man gotta try all of these thanks guys

10. 72hdflh

72hdflh New Member

State:
    West Salem, Ohio
    Definately filleted, I hate picking around bones. Dredge in egg, roll in cornmeal, fry till golden brown, salt & pepper to taste, dig in.