Looking for big catfish

Discussion in 'LOCAL WISCONSIN TALK' started by pat g., May 6, 2007.

1. pat g.

pat g. New Member

State:
    wisconsin
    please tell me where to find the big ones in wisconsin

2. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    This is the 4th time ya have asked. I'm sure someone will chime in. Or better yet get out and do some work on your own. LOL!

3. pat g.

pat g. New Member

State:
    wisconsin
    I would get out on my own.new to state dont know first place to go.and as for asking four times,also new to this site so may have to many threads.sorry to bother you:big_smile:

4. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    Welcome to the BOC Pat, were glad your here!!

5. Whiskeyriver

Whiskeyriver New Member

State:
    WA
    Where you at in the land of cheddar?:0a11:

6. WI Mudshark

WI Mudshark New Member

State:
    Wi
    I could try if I knew where you lived......:smile2:

7. ncfowler

ncfowler Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Name:
    Jeff
    I'm sure you have been fishing for a time or you would not be here on the boc, Use your knowledge of catfish habits, when i first move to nc two years ago i was lost as you were, I did not have the boc to fall back on so i had to get in my boat and start fishing areas that i know will hold cats. Over time i expanded my area and got some new friends along the way. Start with a area close by you this will give you time to go out on short notice, If you have a city own lake go there and meet the people who are fishing and make a new friend. As far as getting info off the boc i'm sure that someone will chime in. good luck

8. blugill79

blugill79 New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    you want some big cats. Not a problem. I will name off some locations for you. In about another week it should start to get good.

First choice Holcombe Flowage, or below at the Holcombe dam. Fish the west side from shore. (great location) If you want the full affect put in at Cornell. Now be warned this river is dangerous Make sure before you reach the damn you take the right fork and trim the motor up. Do not be weighted down as the rocks are only 3 1/2 to 4 feet below the surface.
    Start off with blugills for bait, shiners or suckers. On the flowage I'm sure you can find a spot with a minimal amount of time.

Second choice would be down river at Jim Falls. This is a great early morning spot. Fish on the east side of the river, this is a bank only area.

Third choice is up river from Jim Falls and Down River from Holcombe. Cornell dam. It's a snag fest but the fish are here. Alot of good spots to fish on this stretch of river as well.

Good fishing

9. wiscatman

wiscatman New Member

State:
    wisconsin
    Yep I would have to agree with Blugill, that area has been one of my favorite for a few years now. Catfish in this area are underfished to say the least and I have personally pulled plenty of dandy flats and channels out of these areas. If you get a chance to go crawlers, creek chubs (live or dead) and cut bait work best. You also have a good chance to tie into some huge sturgeon! Well good luck and tight lines to all!

10. wiscatman

wiscatman New Member

State:
    wisconsin
    Sorry almost forgot to ask you Blugill if you might like to have a fishin' partner up there some weekend? Just let me know I should be able to get away for awile!

11. blugill79

blugill79 New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    catman, i will actualyl be up for two weeks here rather shortly. I am currently in the united states army. But I remember where the big ones are in that river. try to get ahold of me on yahoo sn is wbryan79

Im down here in Kentucky learning about there cats. They are over fished, but I am learning. But I am bringing a cut bait the cats haven't seen up there. Shad..wonder what the cats up there will think about it.

should be in wisconsin again after the 20th of june for two weeks.

good fishing

12. wiscatman

wiscatman New Member

State:
    wisconsin
    Blugill that sounds like a plan drop me a line when you get closer for you to be on leave and we'll go catch us a mess of cats! Until later , tight lines!

13. thenightstalker

thenightstalker New Member

State:
    indiana
    if you think that cats havent seen shad up there, youre wrong. i lived in wis./ minn. for a few years. ive caught some monsters up there in the upper st. croix. its worth the drive to go above st. croix falls or taylors falls. on both sides of the river, there are boat ramps directy across from each other. that is the place to fish.

14. LiquidSteel

LiquidSteel New Member

State:
    La Vista N
    I always catch mine in a special substance that contains 2 parts hydrogen, and one part oxygen.:roll_eyes:

15. catfish queen 34

catfish queen 34 New Member

State:
    centeral wisconsin
    :roll_eyes:I was just wondering when the best time to start catfishing. People tell me its to cold out right now but im getting cabin fever.Want to hit the lake and start bringing in the monsters.

16. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    welcome to the boc good to have you aboard